Yummy food for your brood
Apr 20, 2012
Detroit Restaurant Week: Caucus Club Recipe
Bargains three-course meals at 21 eateries in the D return April 20-29, 2012 (hello, parent date night). One chef shares his salmon napoleon dish!
Detroit Restaurant Week is a food lover's dream – not to mention a great bargain for southeast Michigan moms and dads looking for a delicious escape close to home. Some of the finest restaurants in the city cook up their best dishes and then offer them at an absolute steal. From April 20 to 29, 2012, you can buy a three-course meal – appetizer, entree and dessert – for just $28 (less beverages and gratuity).
All 21 participating restaurants have put together their own special menus for these 10 days of gustatory heaven – and Chef Matthew Vogelei of Caucus Club says Salmon Napoleon is a customer favorite.
There's no secret ingredient, he says, but with "good cooking with fresh food and quality items, you can't go wrong."
Want to cook like a fine restaurant chef? Check out Chef Michael's recipe for Salmon Napoleon part of the special menu this week at Caucus Club!
Salmon Napoleon Recipe
Broiled Atlantic salmon with lump crab meat, champagne caper cream and sauteed spinach with julienned red onion. Serves 4 people.
- 2 pounds Atlantic salmon
- 8 ounces lump crab meat (canned is fine if fresh crab is not available)
- 1 pound baby spinach, washed and dried
- 1/2 red onion, julienned (i.e., sliced matchstick style)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup champagne (or dry/sweet white wine)
- 1/4 cup fish stock (or canned clam juice)
- 3 Tbsp. capers
- Salt and white pepper (to taste)
- Olive oil to sear
- Chopped flat leaf parsley
- First, create the sauce. Place heavy cream, champagne (or white wine) and stock into a 2-quart sauce pan and bring to a boil, reduce to simmer and reduce liquid to 1/2 its volume. Season with salt and white pepper and add capers. Reserve for serving.
- Next, portion salmon into 8-ounce pieces; then split widthwise to achieve two 4-ounce pieces from each portion.
- Pre-heat a large saute pan with a few tablespoons of olive oil, just barely coating the pan.
- Season each 4-ounce potion with salt and white pepper.
- When oil is hot, place gently into pan and sear for 2 minutes or until a golden crust is visible; remove and keep warm.
- Heat crab in a small saute pan with a touch of olive oil and a touch of Champagne. Hold warm.
- In another saute pan heat olive oil, add red onion and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add spinach, salt and white pepper.
- Now to plate the dish! Place spinach in a mound in the center of the plate. Set one piece of salmon on top of the spinach. Add 2 ounces of crab meat, a second piece of salmon and drizzle the sauce over the top – about 4 tablespoons (or more if you like).
- Sprinkle dish, including the rim, with chopped flat leaf parsley – and enjoy!
Caucus Club is at 150 W. Congress St. in Detroit, right in the Penobscot building. Check out the Metro Parent listing to see who else is serving up dinner during the spring 2012 Detroit Restaurant Week!