Family DIY fun crafts and projects
Aug 23, 2012
Freezer Paper Cloud Mobile Craft
Harness the breeze on Ride the Wind Day – a silly August holiday custom made for kids – with this DIY mobile project sporting puffy little clouds
Every now and then, I like to see if there's a silly holiday to celebrate. You know the variety: National Cookie Appreciation Day, Talk Like a Pirate Day (arr!), etc. Today is one of them – it's Ride the Wind Day! Who knew? Why not celebrate this breezy holiday by making a cloud mobile out of a kitchen staple: Freezer paper. If you made our freezer paper stencil T-shirts from the spring, I bet you've got a roll on hand right now …
- Freezer paper
- Cotton balls
- Large embroidery hoop
- Hot-glue gun and glue
|1. Start out by ripping off a piece of freezer paper. You can make your clouds big or small; it's up to you. Fold the piece in half so that the waxed sides are touching one another.|
|2. Cut out your favorite cloud shape. I freehanded all of mine. You can do that, too, or print out a piece of clipart and use that as a template.|
|3. With your iron on the hottest setting, use just the tip to seal the two pieces of freezer paper together along the edges. Go about three-quarters around the cloud and stop, leaving an opening for stuffing.|
4. Take the eraser end of your pencil and pop open the cloud pocket. Next, take a few cotton balls and pull them apart so that they look more like stuffing. Insert them into the cloud pocket using your eraser once again. Fill until the cloud feels full – but not so full that the opening can't be sealed shut.
5. Once you're done stuffing your cloud packet, seal the opening with the tip of your iron.
6. It's time to hang your clouds. Cut a piece of ribbon (the length is up to you) and hot-glue one end to the embroidery hoop. Glue the other end to the top of your cloud.
7. Repeat this process for as many clouds as you'd like to make (I made five).
8. To hang the mobile, cut three long pieces of ribbon. Think of your embroidery hoop as a peace sign and glue a ribbon in the three points of the peace sign. Pull the ribbons up and gather together. Tie with a knot.
|Your mobile is all set! Now, the important question: Where will you hang it? Show off, too: Share a photo of your freezer paper cloud mobile. We'll post it here in the Make It blog.|