Family DIY fun crafts and projects
Jul 28, 2014
Play Food Lollipops Craft for Kids
Everyone wants a sweet treat after dinner, even if it's for an imaginary meal! Get the tutorial on how to make these old-school treats reimagined as toys.
One of the perks of summer is taking your kitchen outside, whether it's creating grilled dinners or picnics in the backyard. If your kids love to play with pretend food in their own small kitchens, make sure they haven't forgotten the best part – dessert! This month, your children can make a set of whimsical play food lollipops to add to their imaginary grocery carts.
Tip! If you notice the chipboard is bowed a bit after your child has painted it or coated it with Mod Podge, place under a heavy book with a piece of wax paper on top to flatten before continuing the project.
- Chipboard 3.5-inch circles
- Jumbo craft sticks
- Craft paint in assorted colors
- Skinny washi tape
- Satin Mod Podge
- Paint brushes
- Painter's tape
- Apply a piece of painter's tape to one chipboard circle to create a painting area. While the tape is easy to remove and position again, don't press too hard onto the chipboard.
- Paint the lollipop with your choice of color. Let dry completely. Add an additional coat, if necessary.
- Once all paint is dry, add a piece of skinny washi tape to the painted half of the circle. Fold the excess tape to the back of the circle.
- Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the front of the half-and-half circle. Let dry.
- Take a second chipboard circle and paint it entirely. This will be the back of the lollipop. Let dry and add a coat of the Mod Podge to the painted side of the circle.
- Add a coat of Mod Podge to both sides of the craft stick. Let dry.
- To assemble the lollipop, place a small piece of SuperTape to one end of the craft stick, both front and back. Remove the plastic backing from the tape and place onto the natural side of your solid-painted lollipop back circle.
- Once secured, add several more pieces of tape to this side. Remove the plastic backing. Take your half-and-half circle and place onto the tape, design side up.