Family DIY fun crafts and projects
Jan 28, 2013
Make a Bouncy Wiggly Valentine's Day Surprise Box
Want to make your kids' hearts bounce – with delight? This simple, cute DIY craft project is the perfect way to show your love, handmade style.
Are your crafters looking for a new spin on classic valentine creations? Look no further than the paper supply shop and, get ready, the hardware store. With just a few knickknacks, you can whip up a Valentine's Day surprise that'll let your sweetheart know just how much your heart bounces for them (imagine this popping up in their lunch box!) – or simply throw your kids' classmates for a crafty loop.
- Colorful card stock (your choice of colors, both plain and print designs)
- Valentine heart templates (click on the image at right to download)
- Plain white favor box (found at Paper Source in Birmingham)
- Lightweight spring (I picked up a spring assortment box and chose the "bounciest")
- Glue stick or Glue Dots (the latter are great, if you have 'em)
- Fabric or washi tape (found at Paper Source)
- Assemble the favor box per the package directions. If any of the box sides aren't staying in place, add a small amount of strong glue and hold in place to dry. Set aside.
- Next, print out our "valentine" heart templates (click on the image above to download the PDF) on your card stock paper. Cut out the "valentine" heart and glue to a print (or different color) piece of card stock. Cut out the second heart about 1/4" from the heart you just glued down, so that the "valentine" heart is framed. Glue this heart to the top of the favor box. Repeat the gluing process for the "You make my heart bounce!" heart and plain heart, too. (The plain heart can be used for a message inside.)
- With your fabric or washi tape, cut a length of tape to the box perimeter. Apply in the back and stick all the way around, smoothing the tape as you go.
- With the "bounce" heart, apply a dime-sized dot of epoxy to the back of the heart. Set one end of the lightweight screw into the epoxy and let it set until the epoxy is completely dry. Apply the same amount of epoxy to the inside of the box and place the heart/coil combination inside. Hold the heart upright as it begins to set in the glue. Let dry and get ready to surprise your valentine!