Family DIY fun crafts and projects
Jan 27, 2014
Family Thumbprint Valentine Craft Gets Everyone Involved
Kids and parents, get those thumbs up! This cute DIY project features ink prints from the entire crew, a perfect decoration for your home for Valentine's Day.
From kids exchanging valentines in class to breakfast in bed from a sweetheart, there's a lot to get excited about on Valentine's Day. Make this holiday extra special by capturing your family in a unique way: thumbprints! This easy-to-make project is great to display in your house on Feb. 14 – and for years to come.
- White fabric
- Red ink pad
- Large embroidery hoop
- Light-colored background fabric
- Fine-tip Sharpie marker
- Red embroidery thread and embroidery needle
- Straight pins
- Aleene's Fabric Fusion glue
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- Get your family together and, on the piece of white fabric, have each person stamp his or her thumbprint in a row with the red ink. (Afterward, wash your hands thoroughly, right away, to remove that ink!) Let the inked fabric dry completely.
- Once the ink is dry, use a Sharpie to outline each family member. You can add the faces to each person – or have each family member take on that crafty task.
- Next, draw a heart, freehand, around your family's thumbprint lineup. This will be your embroidery guide. Use a simple chain stitch to embroider the heart. (Not in the mood to embroider? Draw your heart with a Sharpie instead.)
- Depending on the size of your heart and artwork, use a bowl (just slightly larger than the circumference of the design) to trace around the design. Cut the circle out.
- Place your circle on the patterned fabric, securing it with straight pins in a few spots. With your sewing machine or hand needle, sew the art onto the fabric, circling around the design three times.
- Add your finished fabric to the embroidery hoop and tighten so that the fabric is taut in the frame. Trim the excess from the back of the hoop. Apply a thin layer of glue onto the hoop and press the trimmed fabric into place. Let dry and get ready to display your finished piece.