Family DIY fun crafts and projects
Aug 27, 2012
Milk Jug Poetry DIY Twist on Magnetic Poetry
School is around the corner. Why not boost your kids' word power with this cool craft for the fridge? They're perfect for small hands, and you'll be upcycling to boot!
Did you ever have a set of Magnetic Poetry? The mini magnets made for hours of fun poetry, silly sentences and messages to family. But over time, the corners peeled and key words disappeared. And for little hands, the tiny pieces were hard to place. Now, you can make your own magnets tailored to the smallest of wordsmiths. By collecting caps from bottles around your home, you're not only creating oversized words and letters; you're upcycling, too!
- Plastic and/or metal jar lids and caps (we used caps that were anywhere from 1 inch to 3.5 inches)
- Letters and words (download templates at bottom of page)
- Glue stick
- Mod Podge Dimensional Magic (clear)
- Start out by gathering your lids. Wash and dry them thoroughly.
- Next, print out your letters and words. Place one clean lid on top of a word or letter and trace around it with your pencil. Note that colored plastic lids tend to have a translucent appearance once completed, while white metal lids have a more solid background (something to consider when choosing your caps!).
- After that, cut out your circle. Once you've cut it out, you'll notice it's still a bit too big to press into the lid. So, trim the circle a bit more until it fits easily into the lid.
- With your glue stick, apply a thin layer of glue to the back of the circle and press into the lid, making sure the paper is flat. Let dry.
- Once the glue has dried, it's time to apply the Dimensional Magic. This Mod Podge product acts like resin, but is much safer to work with. Apply a thin line of it all around the cap. Next, flood the cap with the product. As you work, you'll notice the Magic covers the whole cap. You don't need to apply a lot to get a good look!
- When you're done, place the cap in a safe place and let dry for several hours.
- Repeat this entire process for the rest of the caps you've selected.
- Once the Dimensional Magic is dry and stiff to the touch, add a magnet to each cap with a good-size amount of epoxy. Let dry – and then throw 'em up on the fridge!