Skating Rinks and Skate Parks in Southeast Michigan
The best places for kids, parents and the entire family to try some roller or inline skating inside – or grab the skateboards and have a blast outside
Put a new spin on things this summer vacation! Head out to one of your local skating arenas or get your adrenaline pumping at one of the cool skate parks throughout metro Detroit. Whether you're a beginner or seasoned-pro, there is something for everyone. Many places even offer lessons, leagues and family-friendly skate sessions. With locations in Macomb, Oakland and Wayne counties, there is sure to be fun location near you.
Roller Skating Rinks
Note: Most hours indicate times for drop-in open skate. However, always check ahead, as times may vary seasonally.
- Address: 24505 Halsted Road, Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-476-2200
- Hours: 1-4 p.m. Wednesdays-Thursdays, 1-4, 4-7 and 7-9 p.m. Fridays; 1-6 and 5-10 p.m.. Saturdays; 1-6 p.m. Sundays (check ahead; hours may vary by season)
- Cost: $8/open skate, $4/skate rental
Skate on in for tons of special events, a pro shop, parties and skating lessons. Sign up for a VIP Punch Card and enjoy monthly discounts. Check out Rollers n' Strollers (age 7 and under) 10 a.m.-1 p.m. on Wednesdays. Cost for Rollers n' Strollers is $7; if you bring three or more people, it is $6 per person.
- Address: 6995 Grand River Road, Brighton
- Phone: 810-227-2010
- Hours: 4-8 Tuesdays, 4-11 p.m. Friday, noon-10 p.m. Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday (hours vary by season; call ahead to verify)
- Cost: $6/1-4 p.m. open skate sessions, $4/skate rental, $8/open skate on weekends
Head to Rollerama for lots of family fun! This skate spot offers special events, lessons, roller hockey, discounts and more.
- Address: 16611 Schoolcraft Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-837-6253
- Hours: vary, Sundays-Saturdays (Tuesdays and Thursdays are private parties/fundraisers); call ahead for open skate times on Sundays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Cost: ranges $3-$7
On a budget? Take the family to open skate on Wednesday nights, when admission is only $3! Enjoy group rates, Friday night gospel skate and new dance classes to learn ballroom, Chicago Step and Latin Hustle.
- Address: 1419 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-7465
- Hours: 6-8 p.m. Monday and Wednesday, 8-11 p.m. Fridays, 1-4 p.m. and 8-11 p.m. Saturdays
- Cost: $2/Mondays and Wednesdays, $5/Fridays and Saturday matinee, $7/Saturday evening; always call ahead for specifics
This roller skating rink offers private and public skating sessions, along with lessons, events and time set aside for family skate.
- Address: 22311 W. Eight Mile Road, Detroit
- Phone: 313-535-1443
- Hours: vary, open daily (private parties Tuesdays-Thursdays); call ahead for open skate times Sundays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays
- Cost: open skate cost varies by day and time
This family spot claims to be the largest skating rink in Detroit. Its rockin' style, skate shop and both private and public skates make it a perfect place for a family outing.
- Address: 36635 Plymouth Road, Livonia
- Phone: 734-421-3540
- Hours: Wednesdays: 10-11:30 a.m. preschool skate (rental included), 1-3:30 p.m. family matinee, 6-8 p.m. family night (rental included); Thursdays: 8-10:30 p.m. '70s, '80s and '90s music; Fridays: 8 p.m.-midnight Top 40 music; Saturdays: 11 a.m.-1 p.m. "learn to skate" (rental included), 2-5 p.m. family matinee, 8 p.m.-midnight Top 40 music; Sundays: 2-5 p.m. family matinee, 8-10:30 p.m. adult night (ages 18-plus); additional sessions may be available, call for info
- Cost: ranges $5-$8
This skate shop has been around for over 70 years, still boasting some of Michigan's finest skating classes, parties, events and a pro shop.
- Address: 4475 Highland Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-674-0808
- Hours: vary; call ahead for times and sessions
- Cost: $4/Saturday morning session, $3/"cheap skate," $7/open skate, $6/family matinee, $5/family skate night
Still operated by the original founding family from the 1950s, this rink offers classes from competitive coaches, along with adult exercise and preschool open skate. Hours and sessions vary by season, so be sure to call ahead for current season information.
- Address: 2825 E. Maple Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-689-4100
- Hours: vary; ask about afternoon skate sessions on Saturdays and Sundays
- Cost: $5/afternoon skate sessions
Pump up the volume and skate to a massive sound system with family, teen and adult night skating sessions. Skate World of Troy offers something for everyone, take a learn-to-skate class or have some me time during adult skating nights. Enjoy "cheap skate" for $3 on Wednesdays and a premium snack bar and arcade room. Inline skating also available.
- Address: 23911 Allen Road, Woodhaven
- Phone: 734-671-0222
- Hours: vary, Sundays-Saturdays; ask about open skate times Sundays, Fridays and Saturdays (may vary by season)
- Cost: $4.50/adult skate, $5/all ages
This family-friendly skating rink turns into the LiveWire teen dance club on Fridays, has Zumba fitness classes and a new bounce house to add to open skate and private parties. Admission on Tuesdays is only $1, along with $1 snacks all night long.
- Address: 37550 Cherry Hill Road, Westland
- Phone: 734-326-2800
- Hours: vary, ask about open skate times on Fridays and Saturdays (call to ensure not closed for a holiday)
- Cost: ranges $5-$8/based on day and time
With lots of times posted for open skate sessions, roller and inline lessons and even Zumba Fitness classes, your wheels will be rolling all summer long – and into the school year, too.
- Address: 8611 Ronda Drive, Canton
- Phone: 734-459-6400
- Hours: vary, Sundays-Saturdays; ask about open skate (may vary by season)
- Cost: $6-$9/open skate (prices may vary)
Offers plenty of family skating fun. This rink is family friendly with "Adult Organ Music Skate," "Rollers and Strollers Skate" and "Friday Night Live Skate."
- Address: 29100 Hayes Blvd., Roseville
- Phone: 586-777-4300
- Hours: vary; ask about open skate times (may vary by season)
- Cost: $5/matinee open skating (includes skate rental) Tuesdays-Fridays; $6/other open skating sessions Saturdays-Sundays
Serious skaters, rejoice! This rink houses the Wolverine inline speed skating team and all-night skates for unstoppable Scouts. Call ahead about "Animal Cracker Skate" and "Roller Roo's Morning Zoo" sessions. Check out the junior Roller Derby team The Darlings of Destruction.
- Address: 50625 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-731-5006
- Hours: vary, Tuesdays-Sundays (private parties on Mondays); ask about open skate times on Tuesdays-Thursdays and Saturdays-Sundays (may vary by season)
- Cost: $6/open skate, $7/night skate, $9/Friday Night Live teen skate
Has open skate and specials like free middle school ID night during select Friday Night Live skates. Sign up for inline hockey here or check out "Rollers & Strollers Skate!” Call ahead for class schedule.
Auburn Hills Skate Park
- Address: 202 N. Squirrel Road, Auburn Hills
- Phone: 248-370-9353
- Hours: 8 a.m.-dusk April-November, weather permitting; closed in winter
- Cost: free
Attack three big ramps, two fun boxes and a collection of rails at this park that has nearby picnic tables alongside the river.
Birmingham Skate Park
- Address: 2300 E. Lincoln St., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-530-1642
- Hours: dawn-dusk; open year-round, weather permitting
- Cost: free
With a 4-foot mini ramp, two pyramids, four large quarter pipes and much more, this public skate park qualifies for the big leagues. Bikes and scooters not permitted.
- Address: 36651 Ford Road, Westland
- Phone: 734-467-3200
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. daily; hours many vary by season (open spring, summer and fall months; check ahead)
- Cost: free
This outdoor park is 20,000 square feet of rock-solid concrete for skaters to grind, ride and glide. Join fellow boarders for Friday night skates under the park's bright lights. Helmets are required.
Huntington Woods Skate Park
- Address: 11 Mile Road, east of Coolidge Highway, Huntington Woods
- Phone: 248-541-3030
- Hours: 9 a.m.-dusk; open spring, summer and fall; Closed during the winter
- Cost: free
A three-tiered big bowl to conquer is just the beginning of this rad park that also houses plenty of rails and elements to grind.
Livonia Community Center Skate Park
- Address: Livonia Community Recreation Center, 15100 Hubbard St.
- Phone: 734-466-2410
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays
- Cost: daily pass for non-residents: $8.50/ages 4-12, $11.50/kids 13-18; daily fee for residents without a pass: $4.25/ages 4-12, $5.75/kids 13-18; free/for residents of Livonia on Tuesday and Thursdays
This park has ramps for both advanced skaters and beginners with 14,000 square feet to board. There's a fee to skate, but you get access to other park facilities, too. A helmet is required to skate.
- Address: 1500 N. Stephenson Highway, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-546-7275
- Hours: vary by day; call for session times, open year-round
- Cost: rates vary; memberships available
This 80,000-square-foot skate park is world-renowned with obstacles and ramps from wall-to-wall that are perfect for bikers, bladers and boarders. Skaters of all levels welcome, and protective gear is available for rent.
- Address: Founder's Sports Park, 35500 Eight Mile Road, Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-473-1800
- Hours: 8 a.m.-dusk. Mondays-Fridays (closed during skate camps); hours may vary (check ahead for details), open weather permitting
- Cost: free
Don't miss out on this outdoor seasonal skate park, only open in the spring. This 29,000-square-foot community project is still expanding with donations, and the park is free for all levels of skaters to enjoy.
- Address: Woodall Neighborhood Park on River Bends Drive, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-731-0300
- Hours: 9 a.m.-dusk, weather permitting; open April 1-Nov. 1
- Cost: free
Skate like the wind at this city park that has plenty of ramps and rails for skateboards, BMX and inline connoisseurs. Helmets required. Fresh air provided.
- Address: 20th and Grove streets, Memorial Park, Wyandotte
- Phone: 734-324-7295
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. weather permitting; open year-round
- Cost: free
Bring your bike or blades and spend a day perfecting your technique on ramps of all sizes.