Spring Festival at the Kensington Metropark Farm Center in Milford
This Oakland County spot shears its sheep and teaches kids about farm-life fundamentals during this annual event, April 27-28, 2013
Spring means sheep shearing time and families can see it happen during the Spring Festival at Kensington Metropark Farm Center in Milford, April 27-28, 2013. This event educates folks about farm life and celebrates this annual occurrence.
Have you ever seen a sheep being shorn? It's an age-old process that typically occurs once a year. The timing depends on the climate, and with warm summer days just around the corner, Kensington Metropark likes to fleece its flock in the spring.
But that's not all that! Plenty of farm activities take place throughout the weekend. Learn about wool spinning from Spinners Flock and check out the many demonstrations that will take place such as Border Collies herding sheep, old-fashioned cooking with Char's Kitchen and wool spinning.
Kids can take a giggle break when Rosco the Clown pays a visit, and then explore the world of nature in the Kid's Cottage.
Plan your day with this complete listing of events:
- 11 a.m.: Harnessing demonstration
- Noon-3 p.m.: Kid's Cottage – explore the world of nature
- Noon-4 p.m.: Discover the world of bees with John Beemer
- Noon-4 p.m.: Horse-drawn hayrides
- 12:30 p.m.-4 p.m.: Cooking demonstration by Char's Kitchen
- 1–2:30 p.m.: Sheep shearing demonstrations
- 1-3 p.m.: Border Collie demonstration by Kelly Murningham
- 1-4 p.m.: Rosco the Clown featuring Balloon Man
- 1-4 p.m.: Ongoing wool spinning demonstrations by Spinners Flock
This event runs from noon to 4 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The fun is free, but there is a $5 vehicle entry permit. Plus, hayrides are $5 for adults and $3 for kids.
See the Metro Parent listing for more on the Spring Festival at Kensington Metropark Farm Center in Milford.