Bedroom Spring Cleaning Checklist
Ah, sleep. Busy families definitely need a good night's rest after a long day, so why not spruce up your sleep space? We've got tips for you to use!
Name the room in your house where you spend most of your time. If you guessed the bedroom, you're right! Sure, most of that time is spent with your eyes closed, but once you consider all your time in bed, you might feel more persuaded to make sure the room is clean top to bottom – yes, even under and behind the bed!
"The bed is the focus of the bedroom," explains Debra Johnson, a curriculum manager for Merry Maids, a national cleaning service, who has 16 years professional cleaning experience. "The bedding is a huge chore, so that's where you may want to begin cleaning." She cleans every part of the bed. While the bedding is in the wash, she vacuums the mattress – and sprays it with fragrance to give it a fresh smell – then rotates or flips it. As long as you're moving the mattress, she recommends picking up under the bed and dusting behind it.
Thank goodness that with all that work you'll have a clean bed to relax in once you're done. Johnson did spill about her real secret to a clean mattress that saves her time during spring cleaning: She puts her mattress in a cover so that it stays fresh year after year. Time to take off the bedroom sheets!
Ready to start your bedroom spring cleaning? This checklist can help you get started:
- Remove and wash all bedding.
- Take out any items under the bed; reorganize items and vacuum the area.
- Vacuum your mattress.
- Dust behind the bed, the headboard and nightstands.
- Rotate and/or flip mattress.
- Take down light fixtures and wash (you may be able to do this in the dishwasher).
- Wash the baseboards, door ceilings, windowsills, doors and walls.
- Vacuum and wash vents.
- Wash windows on the inside and out.
- Dust any additional light fixtures and lampshades.
- Reorganize closets – toss out any clothing items you haven't worn in the past year.
- Wipe down any picture frames and mirrors using glass cleaner.
- Vacuum the entire room.
- Place washed bedding back on your bed.
- Take a nap in your clean bedroom.