Learning at the Farmers Market
Five ideas for making the most of your next trip to the outdoor fruit-and-vegetable spot with the kids.
The next time your family heads out to one of the many local farmers' markets, here are five fun things to do with your kids to enhance the experience.
1. Talk about the vegetables you see. Depending on the age of your kids, discuss color, shapes, growing seasons or even memories of particular foods.
2. Try something new together. There are often free samples to try, but at farmers' market prices, bringing home a little kale, an eggplant or a new kind of cheese to try isn't going to break the bank.
3. Talk to the farmers and learn more about what they grow and why they have chosen farming as a way of life.
4. Turn your farmers market purchase into a cooking/baking session together. Try a new recipe and enjoy!
5. Sneak a little math lesson into their summer: Have your child help add up your purchase, count out the money and pay. Or you can give them a little spending money and let them choose for themselves!