Guide to Southeast Michigan 2012 Labor Day Family Fun
Concerts, art fairs and family fun are in store for the big extended weekend! Celebrate at one of these annual festivals in southeast Michigan.
(page 2 of 4)
Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012
- Address: Suburban Collection Showplace, 46100 Grand River Ave., Novi
- Time: 8 a.m.-midnight
- Cost: $25/adults, $20/children
Michigan's tradition returns! See livestock exhibits (8 a.m.-9 p.m.), agriculture and indoor vendor booths with a made in Michigan focus (10 a.m.-9 p.m.), an entertainment tent, beer garden and outdoor venues (11 a.m.-midnight), midway (11 a.m.-11 p.m.) and circus (at noon and 2:30, 5 and 7:30 p.m.).
- Address: Downtown Royal Oak
- Time: 11 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Cost: $3/before 5 p.m., $5/after 5 p.m., free/under age 3, $10/16 food tickets, $2.50-$3.75/ride, fees apply/parking
The 15th annual features lots of great food samples, a juried fine arts show, 200-plus bands on 10 stages and rides (10 are for kids ages 3-13; 11 a.m.-11 p.m.). On the Oakland County Parks Kids Stage, catch Radio Disney rocking the house, plus Detroit School of Rock and Pop Music and loads more. Kids Zone also promises arts and crafts and other activities. Main stage fun includes a Zumbathon Celebration Zumba class (11 a.m.) and Beatlemania Live (7 p.m.). Shoot some hoops at the Metro PCS USA Basketball Dream Tour 1-3 p.m. today, too.
- Address: Hart Plaza to Campus Martius
- Time: 10:30-11:30 p.m.
- Cost: Free
On five main stages, you can see 21 great jazz musicians, including Wynton Marsalis and Chick Corea and Gary Burton Hot House Tour with Harlem String Quartet. The night is topped off with a fantastic fireworks show at 11 p.m.
- Address: Downtown Hamtramck, between Caniff and Carpenter streets
- Time: Noon-10 p.m.
- Cost: Free, $5/parking at the city lot at Mitchell and Caniff streets, fees apply/rides
The annual fun kicks off today! Enjoy an art fair (noon-10 p.m.), a carnival midway (noon-9 p.m.) and music on two stages (noon-10 p.m.), with a big focus on the Detroit music, including The Sugarcoats tonight.
- Address: Walter & Mary Burke Park, Downtown New Baltimore
- Time: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Cost: Free
This two-day fine arts and crafts show has Lake St. Clair as its backdrop. Browse through the work of more than 100 artists, sample food from local restaurants and hear live music.
- Address: Old St. Patrick Catholic Church, 5671 Whitmore Lake Road, Ann Arbor
- Time: noon-11 p.m.
- Cost: Free
Kids' activities include a petting zoo, face painting, a rock climbing wall and inflatables. Also enjoy live stage performances, a country store, used bookstore and silent raffle. Feast on a BBQ rib dinner tonight.
- Address: Downtown Romeo
- Time: 8:30 a.m.-11 p.m.
- Cost: Free, some fees apply for ride wristbands
It's the big Peach Festival Kidfest 2012 today! Geared at ages 14 and under, it's got a Rosco the Clown show, tons of races, a Home Depot building project, games, petting zoo, crafts, moonwalk, Dan Dan the Choo-Choo man and tons more (activities run 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.). There's also a Child ID program, sports tournaments, Artistic Reflections fine arts and crafts show (10 a.m.-6 p.m.), the midway (noon-11 p.m.) and a steak dinner (4-8 p.m.).
- Address: Hollygrove Grounds, 12600 Dixie Highway, Holly
- Time: 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Cost: $20.95/adults, $18.95/students and seniors, $11.95/kids
The 16th comes to life, from the scenery to the clothing, at this annual festival – extended to a special three-day weekend with a "High Seas Adventure" theme. Live armored jousting, a children's "realm," live entertainment and food are some of the highlights. New this year, check out Merbellas Live Mermaids, too.
- Address: Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds, 5055 Ann Arbor-Saline Road, Saline
- When: 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Cost: $7/ages 11-plus, Free/ages 10 and under, $18/ride armbands (or $1 per ticket for rides)
Don't miss the big Children's Parade in downtown Saline at high noon. Rides open at 1 p.m. today (it's 10 rides for $10!). There's also an antique/farm-stock/OEM small and big block/diesel truck pull at 9 a.m. – and the high-Super Stock, Modifieds and Tractor Pullers show takes off at 7 p.m. (costs additional $5).