Guide to Southeast Michigan 2012 Labor Day Family Fun
Concerts, art fairs and family fun are in store for the big extended weekend! Celebrate at one of these annual festivals in southeast Michigan.
(page 4 of 4)
Monday, Sept. 3, 2012
- Address: Suburban Collection Showplace, 46100 Grand River Ave., Novi
- Time: 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Cost: $25/adults, $20/children
Michigan's tradition returns! See livestock exhibits (8 a.m.-5 p.m.), agriculture and indoor vendor booths with a made in Michigan focus (10 a.m.-5 p.m.), an entertainment tent, beer garden and outdoor venues (11 a.m.-5 p.m.), midway (11 a.m.-5 p.m.) and circus (at noon and 2:30 and 5 p.m.).
- Address: Downtown Royal Oak
- Time: 11 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Cost: $3/before 5 p.m., $5/after 5 p.m., free/under age 3, $10/16 food tickets, $2.50-$3.75/ride, fees apply/parking
The 15th annual features lots of great food samples, a juried fine arts show, 200-plus bands on 10 stages and rides (10 are for kids ages 3-13; 11 a.m.-9 p.m.). On the Oakland County Parks Kids Stage, see Harpbeat's Musical Revue (noon and 5:30 p.m.), Mysterious Illusions (6 p.m.) and more; plus enjoy crafts and fun at the Kids Zone. The main stage features rockabilly band Orbitsuns at 8 p.m.
- Address: Village Green, Franklin Road between 13 and 14 Mile roads, Franklin Village
- Time: 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Cost: Free
Part of the Franklin Labor Day Roundup, this 32nd annual festival features 75-plus artists who create work in pottery, glass, jewelry, furniture and more.
- Address: Hart Plaza to Campus Martius
- Time: noon-8:30 p.m.
- Cost: Free
Catch 15 great jazz acts on the five stages, including the Preservation Hall Jazz Band and Lew Tabackin Quartet featuring Randy Brecker.
- Address: Downtown Hamtramck, between Caniff and Carpenter streets
- Time: Noon-10 p.m.
- Cost: Free, $5/parking at the city lot at Mitchell and Caniff streets, fees apply/rides
This is the festival's big day! The big Polish Day Parade kicks off at 1:30 p.m., stepping off from Holbrook and Joseph Campau streets. Also watch for the Hamtramck Yacht Club Canoe Races. And catch the art fair (noon-10 p.m.), carnival midway (noon-9 p.m.) and music and fun on two stages (noon-10 p.m.). The local music highlights include Pewter Cub and Kielbasa Kings.
- Address: Downtown Romeo
- Time: 7:30 a.m.-9 p.m.
- Cost: Free, some fees apply for ride wristbands
Don't miss the 10 a.m. 2011 Children's Parade today, which is themed "Fairy Tales & Nursery Rhymes." The Peach Festival Floral Parade is at 1:30 p.m. Also check out the rides (11 a.m.-10 p.m.), craft show (10 a.m.-5 p.m.), food and other fun happening.
- Address: Hollygrove Grounds, 12600 Dixie Highway, Holly
- Time: 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Cost: $20.95/adults, $18.95/students and seniors, $11.95/kids
The 16th comes to life, from the scenery to the clothing, at this annual festival – extended to a special three-day weekend with a "High Seas Adventure" theme. Live armored jousting, a children's "realm," live entertainment and food are some of the highlights. New this year, check out Merbellas Live Mermaids, too.
- Address: Downtown Franklin
- Time: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Cost: Free
Get a sneak peek of fall: The Franklin Cider Mill will be open! The annual family fun here, which is marking a 68th year, includes a parade, midway games, petting farm, pony rides, classic car show, LEGO city, Detroit Tigers' Paws, food and more.
- Address: Washtenaw Farm Council Grounds, 5055 Ann Arbor-Saline Road, Saline
- When: 8 a.m.-10 a.m.
- Cost: Free entry/everyone, $10/ride armbands (or $1 per ticket for rides)
In honor of Labor Day, everyone gets in free – and ride armbands are just $10! There's an antique cement slab tractor pull at 9 a.m., and the midway opens at 1 p.m.
- Address: The Henry Ford, Greenfield Village, 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Time: 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Cost: Free, admission and parking
There's no charge to get into this family-fun historic haven today. Kids will enjoy live music, dramatic presentations and make-and-take activities.