Water Parks, Spray Grounds, Public Pools in Southeast Michigan
Water slides, lazy rivers and more: These family spots offer summer 2014 fun for parents and kids in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties
Tired of sitting indoors to beat the heat and humidity this summer? Make the hot and sticky season cooler by taking the entire family for a day of soaking-wet fun at some awesome areas in southeast Michigan. These affordable (and sometimes free!) summer hot spots are sure to be a great source of entertainment for the whole family that won't break the bank.
We scoped out metro Detroit and the greater Ann Arbor areas to find community gems to provide your family with the perfect local splash getaway. From indoor tropics to park-plus-pool destinations, you're covered for all the splishy-splashy fun you can handle. Don't forget to grab the towels on the way out the door!
- Address: 3200 Jennings Road, Webster Township, Whitmore Lake
- Phone: 734-449-4437
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. daily, Memorial Day-Labor Day
- Costs: $4/residents, $5/nonresidents; twilight fees (after 5 p.m.) $3/residents, $4/non-residents; free/ages 2 and under
Take a ride on the two 24-foot waterslides, play on the water structure – and be sure to splash in the water jet spider, cattails and buckets. Amenities include first-aid services, family changing rooms, diaper changing stations, showers and more.
- Address: 50050 Jefferson Ave., Chesterfield Township
- Phone: 586-949-0400 ext. 4 (then, press 2)
- Hours: 11 a.m.- 7 p.m. daily (weather permitting)
- Cost: $5/vehicle entry
Head to this waterfront park in Chesterfield Township to check out their splash park, touting a nautical theme and featuring sprayers.
- Address: 46202 Heritage Park Road, Canton
- Phone: 734-394-5460
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, Memorial Day-Labor Day
- Costs (2014): free
Have a picnic at the park; then cool off at the splash playground (kids 12 and under must have supervision). There are lots of fun features, including misting stations and bucket dump spots. Touch the fire hydrant to start the fun.
- Address: Livonia Community Recreation Center, 15100 Hubbard Road, Livonia
- Phone: 734-466-2900
- Hours (2014): Indoor leisure pool: 5:30 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 6 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Saturdays, 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays (closed select hours for classes, check ahead); outdoor splash pad: 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays, 10 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Sundays, late June-Labor Day
- Costs for LCRC (2014): city residents: $7.25/adults, $5.75/ages 13-18, $4.25/ages 4-12 and 62-plus, free/under 3; nonresidents: $14.50/adults, $11.50/ages 13-18, $8.50/ages 4-12, $8.50/ages 62 and older, free/under 3 with paying adult
The 6,500 square-foot leisure pool features zero-depth entry, a lazy river, spa and warm-up pool, while the competition lap pool has 12-foot depth, a diving board and spectator seating. Includes indoor and outdoor attractions and splash pad. Swim lessons or water aerobics lesson packages offered.
- Address: 12600 Chandler Park Drive, Detroit
- Phone: 313-822-7665
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekends Memorial Day-June 15; daily June 16-Labor Day (note: pool closes at 6:30 p.m.)
- Costs (2014): residents: $7/ages 13-plus, $5/ages 3-12, $2/ages 0-2; nonresidents: $8/ages 13-plus, $6/ages 3-12; $3/ages 0-2
Set on the D's eastside, this place boasts the Way Cool Wave Pool, ranging in depth from zero to six feet – plus "Splish Splash Land" for tots. Teens and adults can tube-ride or body-slide down two super-sized water slides, too. It's all waiting a quarter-mile south of I-94.
- Address: In Tattan Park,South of Cliff Orr Drive and west of North Carlson Street, Westland
- Phone: 734-721-7400
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-7 p.m. daily, late July (date TBD)-Labor Day (weather permitting)
- Costs (2014): free
As of late June, it's undergoing construction as a new Westland Farmers Market is added. Stay tuned for details on the grand reopening of this community favorite (normally, it opens Memorial Day weekend). This outdoor splash park has a variety of features, including water cannons, dump buckets and a spraying helicopter with goofy characteristics.
- Address: 5200 Indian Trail White Lake
- Phone: 248-625-6640
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. daily, Memorial Day-Labor Day
- Costs: free, add Indian Springs Metropark vehicle pass: $7/daily, $30/annual
Kids of all ages are sure to enjoy the water spray area, complete with a rock-climbing wall, cargo nets to climb and even a maze! There's also a sand play area for the toddlers to build castles, complete with oversized scoopers for digging.
- Address: 5460 Arden Ave., Warren
- Phone: 586-268-8400
- Hours (2014): 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays; open year-round
- Costs (2014): $5/residents, $10/nonresidents
Sun tropics come to life at this home to one of the biggest indoor enclosed water slides in Michigan. There's also a lazy river and 300-gallon tipping bucket attached to a play structure that's "a jungle gym in a foot of water" with six slides, squirt guns, water cannons and jets – even faux palm trees and a giant toucan. Plus, you'll find a hot tub for ages 15 and up, and a sauna for ages 18 and up – plus a nearby pool for lap swimming. (Word to the wise: Don't miss the public fountains outside at city square, open daily, weather permitting.)
- Address: 2795 Seymour Lake Road, Seymour Lake Park, Oxford Township
- Phone: 248-628-1720
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-noon (kids ages 6 and under only), noon-7 p.m. (all ages), daily, Memorial Day-Labor Day (weather permitting)
- Costs (2014): $1/Oxford kids ages 2-17, $4/all nonresident kids, free/Oxford kids under 2 and parents, $25/passes, resident families
The "KLR" stands for "Kids Love Recreation" – that means all kids, whatever their ability levels, at this inclusive park (in fact, "Aqua Wheelchairs" are available upon request). It includes ground sprayers, tiny tipping buckets, big flowers that fling water around, tunnels and more.
- Address: 32481 W. Jefferson Ave., Brownstown
- Phone: 734-379-5020
- Hours (2014): May 24-June 13: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. weekdays, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. weekends and holidays; June 14-Sept. 1: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. weekends and holidays (note: hours may be reduced mid-August-Labor Day)
- Costs (2014): Rip Slide: $12/day, $1/ride; combo pool and slide: $15/adults, $13/ages 15 and under; Wave Pool (rafts included, first-come, first-served): $7/adults, $5/ages 15 and under and 62-plus, free/kids under 30 inches tall; twilight (5 p.m.-closing): $4/ages 14 and under and 62-plus, $4/adults; 50 cents/locker fee; add Huron-Clinton Metroparks vehicle pass: $7/daily, $30/annual
This wave pool has consistent three-foot waves for riders to cruise on rafts included with your entry fee (first-come, first-served). Plus brave a three-story tall inflatable waterslide – better known as the Rip Slide – that's 175 feet long and 47 feet wide.
- Address: 31300 Metropolitan Parkway, Harrison Township
- Phone: 586-463-4581
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day weekend
- Costs (2014): free/Spray 'n' Play, $4/per person for pool; add Huron-Clinton Metroparks vehicle pass: $7/daily, $30/annual
At the spray ground, tykes can enjoy ground sprays, water cannons and red loops that form a tunnel of spritzing H20. At the Olympic-sized pool, race a pal down its two waterslides and practice popping off the diving board (kids must be 48 inches or taller to ride slides). There's sandy beach to enjoy along Lake St. Clair, too.
- Address: Macomb Township Recreation Center, 20699 Macomb St., Macomb Township
- Phone: 586-992-2900
- Hours (2014): open swim, summer schedule: noon-4 p.m. and 6-9 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays, noon-9 p.m. Fridays, noon-7 p.m. Saturdays, noon-5 p.m. Sundays; open year-round (hours shift in fall; check ahead for details)
- Costs for MTRC (2014): $5/township residents, $10/nonresidents
Plunge into two pools, featuring a water slide, lazy river and more. Kids can sign up for swim lessons; plus the center offers a soft play indoor play scape, child-watch room (fees apply) and teen room, all near even more fitness facilities.
- Address: 120 Mt. Elliott St., Detroit
- Phone: 313-566-8200
- Hours: 8 a.m.-9 p.m., through Labor Day weekend at least (check ahead for latest; note that the main RiverWalk hours are 6 a.m.-10 p.m.)
- Costs: free
This newly renovated Great Lakes schooner-themed water feature is complete with water cascades, "kid activated" water cannons, unique wind chimes and many more interactive features. Stop by for a splash, or to simply enjoy the park's many fishing piers, winding walkways or its popular open-air cafe.
- Address: 910 Merrill Plaisance, Detroit
- Phone: 313-224-1125
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, Memorial Day-end of September (weather permitting)
- Costs: free
New as of 2013, this state-of-the-art Detroit neighborhood spot has a variety of colorful water-splashing pipes and small tipping buckets to let kids cool off. This year, there's also a new play scape with a tot area, big kids area including a slide, and some swings nearby – plus three new bike racks.
- Address: 46640 Ann Arbor Trail, just east of Beck Road, Plymouth Township
- Phone: 734-414-1452
- Hours (2014): 10 a.m.-8 p.m. May, 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. June-July, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. August, hours vary September (depends on weather conditions); daily, season generally opens Saturday of Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day
- Costs (2014): free
This 2,600 square foot watering mecca features 24 spray features. Among the fun: water cannons, a horse charger, the "Froggy-O" and "Daisy Mae" – along with 12 ground sprays. It's designed to accommodate all ages.
- Address: 1455 E. 13 Mile Road, Madison Heights
- Phone: 248-858-0918
- Hours (2014): regular season (May 30-Aug. 24): 10 a.m.-7 p.m. weekends and holidays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays; late season (Aug. 25-29): 11 a.m.-3 p.m.; final days (Aug. 30-Sept. 1): 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Costs (2014): weekends and holidays: $18/regular, $13/Oakland County residents; weekdays: $15/regular, $10/county residents; twilight (after 4 p.m. Monday-Friday only, minus holidays): $12 and $7 respectively; $1/coin-operated lockers (get full Red Oaks Waterpark cost info); free/parking, $2/discount active military and seniors ages 62 and older
Soak Station is a water playground with water jets, curtains, slides, bubbler jets and a six-foot tipping bucket (68 features in all). There's also a 990-foot River Ride tubing adventure and Spray & Play zone for wee ones. And of course, don't miss the Triple Turn (a triple-flume waterslide) and the Terrific Tides wave-action pool.
- Address: 7660 Stony Creek Road, Ypsilanti
- Phone: 734-484-9676
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-8 p.m. weekends and holidays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays; open Saturday of Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day
- Costs (2014): weekdays: $7/residents, $9/nonresidents (after 5 p.m. $4.50 and $5.50, respectively); weekends and holidays: $8/residents, $10/nonresidents; free/kids 36 inches tall or under; $5-$9/daily vehicle pass or $25-$45/annual (lower costs are for Washtenaw County residents)
Enjoy a wave pool, water slides, a zero-depth entry activity pool for kids (has a gentle bubbler, geyser, waterfall and kiddy slide for those under 45 inches), sand play scape, lazy river and two spray grounds. Plus, there's a sun deck that stretches throughout the park, concessions and various essentials sold or rented onsite, from sunscreen to life jackets.
- Address: Romulus Athletic Center, 35765 Northline Road, Romulus
- Phone: 734-942-2223
- Hours (2014): Outdoor splash pad: noon-8 p.m. daily; pool hours vary; outdoor: generally noon-6 p.m. daily, mid-June-Labor Day; indoor: generally noon-9 p.m. (subject to swim classes and lessons)
- Costs (2014): $8/residents, $12/nonresidents, $5/attending with a Romulus Athletic Center member
You've got five pools to choose from: a Splash Pool complete with water curtain and 150-gallon tipping bucket, a 240-foot long Lazy River (inner tubes available), the red two-story twisting water slide, lap pool and hot tub. Just outside, find a splash pool with splash pad featuring water geysers, cannons and foaming jets.
- Address: Southfield Municipal Complex, 26000 Evergreen Road, Southfield
- Phone: 248-796-4640
- Hours: 12:30-6 p.m., Monday-Saturday; closed Sundays, June 14-Aug. 30
- Costs: $5/adult residents (18-plus), $6/adult nonresidents; $4/youth residents and $5/youth nonresidents (season passes available)
This popular Southfield spot has an Olympic-sized outdoor pool, a children's spray pool, a climbing wall and even a 120-foot waterslide. There is also a snack bar and vending machines to enjoy between splashes.
- Address: 2240 W. Buno Road, Milford
- Phone: 248-685-0603
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-7 p.m. daily, Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day
- Costs (2014): regular: $5/adults, $4/kids (ages 15 and under) and seniors; twilight (5 p.m.-close): $4/adults, $3/kids and seniors; add Huron-Clinton Metroparks vehicle pass: $7/daily, $30/annual; free/children under 2
This spot has two 250-foot twisted waterslides and a cool spray ground with palm trees, serpents and cannons. Waterslide riders must be 48 inches tall. Dry off at adjacent Martindale Beach (and, for more water fun, kayak, canoe, paddleboat or rowboat options are also nearby).
- Address: Clintonwood Park, 6000 Clarkston Road, Clarkston
- Phone: 248-625-1444
- Hours: Toddler time (ages 6 and under): 10 a.m.-11 a.m. weekdays; open to all ages 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays and 10 a.m.-7 p.m. weekends.
- Costs: free/adults; $2/residents 17 and under, $4/nonresidents 17 and under
This 3,200 square foot spray park, built in memory of local resident Renee Przybylski, offers a variety of water features. The park also has baseball and soccer fields, sand volleyball courts, picnic pavilions and more.
- Address: Summit on the Park, 1150 Canton Center Road South, Canton
- Phone: 734-394-5460
- Hours (2014): open swim: 1:30-5:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays, 12:30-3:30 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, 12:30-3:30 p.m. and 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, 12:30-3:30 p.m. and 6:30-9 p.m. Fridays, June 16-Aug. 31 (open year-round; check ahead for other times)
- Costs for Summit complex (2014): city residents: $7/adults, $6/ages 12-17, $5/ages 4-11, $6/seniors; nonresidents: $15/adults, $6/ages 12-17, $5/ages 4-11, $13/seniors
Enjoy a lap pool, leisure pool with zero-depth entry, therapy pool, lazy river, slide, spa, steam room, sauna, swim lessons and water fitness classes.
- Address: 3425 Civic Center Drive, Troy
- Phone: 248-524-3514
- Hours: Open swim: 3-7:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays May 27-June 11; 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m. daily June, August and Sept. 1; 11 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays and 11 a.m.-8 p.m. weekdays July
- Costs: Daily pass: $8.50/residents, $13/nonresidents; twilight (after 5 p.m.): $4.50/residents and $6.75/nonresidents; free/under 3 (get full Troy Family Aquatic Center costs)
With two small kiddy pools, a zero-depth entry leisure pool, a 20-foot-wide waterfall, bubbling geysers, a water tree and a 25-foot waterside, this center has lots to offer the whole family.
- Address: 17845 Savage Road, Belleville
- Phone: 734-697-9181
- Hours (2014): 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays, 11 a.m.-8 p.m. weekends and holidays, Memorial Day weekend-Labor Day
- Costs (2014): $10/adults 48 inches and taller, $8/kids 30-47 inches, free/kids under 30 inches, $6/twilight (after 5 p.m.); add Huron-Clinton Metroparks vehicle pass: $7/daily, $30/annual; 50 cents/coin-operated lockers
Find two waterslides, a laid-back lazy river, a sunning hill and a cool water play scape with a 300-gallon dumping bucket. Don't forget the zero-depth entry pool with lap lanes. Top it off with food and beverages at Turtle Cove Grille. Ages 10 and under must be accompanied by a parent.
- Address: 2150 Jackson Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-794-6235
- Hours (2014): 3:30-7 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon-7 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays and holidays May 24-June 13; 1-4:45 and 6:30-9 p.m. Mondays-Fridays and noon-4:45 p.m. and 6:30-8 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays and holidays June 14-Sept. 1; tot splash (ages 7 and younger with adult): noon-1 p.m. Mondays-Fridays
- Costs (2014): $5/adults, $4/ages 4-17 and seniors, free/3 and under with paying adult
This Ann Arbor city pool is family friendly, affordable and filled with soak options. Kids over 42 inches tall can tackle a 125-foot water slide, and smaller ones can play under water-shooting contraptions.
- Address: 1702 Scott Lake Road, Waterford
- Phone: 248-858-0918
- Hours (2014): regular season (June 9-Aug. 24): 10 a.m.-7 p.m. weekends and holidays, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. weekdays; late season (Aug. 25-29): 11 a.m.-3 p.m.; final days (Aug. 30-Sept. 1): 10 a.m.-7 p.m.; twilight (after 4 p.m. Monday-Friday, excluding holidays): buy one, get one free
- Costs (2014): weekends and holidays: $10/residents, $12/nonresidents; weekdays: $8/general; $1/coin-operated lockers (get full Waterford Oaks Waterpark cost info here); free/parking; $1/discount active military and seniors ages 62 and up
This tropical-themed oasis has a Dual-Flume Slidewinder Waterslide and wave-action pool. The Big Bucket children's water playground boasts 30-plus interactive activities, including a giant tipping bucket, waterfalls and sprayers (must be 56 inches or shorter), and Ragin' Rapid, a group raft ride with three stories of twists and turns.