Family Fun in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Home to the Big House and famous for its big-city, small-town charm, this Washtenaw County college city is never a dull moment. Here are eight places to take the kids any day of the week for a fun-filled afternoon!
(page 4 of 4)
- Address: 581 State Circle, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-994-0012
- Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday
A dream come true for all and any crafty cravings, The Scrap Box offers anything you could ever want to cut, paste, paint, string or collage. Thanks to donations from local businesses and households, The Scrap Box encourages creativity and recycling by collecting remnants of all sorts that'd make for unique crafting materials. Wander through the main room, where you can purchase materials in bulk ($6.50 to fill a large bag and $4 for a small), or stroll into the Green room for more limited-quantity items with prices starting at one penny! Craft examples are also displayed throughout the store for inspiration (photo-taking welcome), and staff is on hand to answer questions or offer ideas. Plus, a kids' table is available in the lobby for free creating projects.
- Address: 314 E. Liberty St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-1111
- Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, Friday-Saturday 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
For creative, vegetarian meals that will have your kids begging for more greens, try Seva. Opened in 1973, Seva has a variety of entrees to choose from – along with a kids' menu. For grownups, try the portobello burger or BBQ eggplant sandwich.
- Address: 2611 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-929-6546
- Hours: 9:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Bright and colorful on the inside and packed with stuffed animals, games and baby gear, your kids will love visiting this toy haven.
- Address: 525 S. State St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-764-0395
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday (summer)
- Cost: free (suggested $5/person donation)
With collections from across the globe, this institute lets your family look through paintings, sculptures and more one-of-a-kind pieces of art.
- Address: 1109 Geddes Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-764-0478
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
- Admission: $6/suggested donation
Marvel at the mysteries of our universe in space, nature and through time at the University of Michigan's Museum of Natural History. The planetarium engages inquiring minds, young and old, through recreations of the night sky and all its phenomena, shows about space research and discoveries, and even story times for children! Afterwards, time-travel back to the age of dinosaurs at the Hall of Evolution exhibit, learn about the histories of human cultures in the anthropology wing, observe the butterfly garden outside and more.
- Address: 602 S. Ashley St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-3244
- Hours: 5 a.m.-8 p.m. daily
Munch on doughnuts, ice cream and an assortment of other goodies at this Ann Arbor landmark.
- Address: 422 Detroit St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-663-DELI
- Hours: 7 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
There's often standing room only to order sandwiches at lunchtime. But don't let the crowd hold you back; it's worth it to sample the corned beef and pastrami sandwiches topped with homemade dressings, cheeses and breads. Make sure to order an extra loaf to bring home with you!