Family Fun in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Home to the Big House and famous for its big-city, small-town charm, this Washtenaw County college city is never a dull moment. Here are eight places to take the kids any day of the week for a fun-filled afternoon!
(page 2 of 4)
- Address: Kerrytown District, Main Street Area, State Street Area, South University Area
- Hours: vary by district, shop and/or event
Looking for events and shopping around town? This is your starting destination. It's got your day of hoofing-it covered, including an interactive walk map for several areas.
- Address: 5206 Plymouth Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-663-5558
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday
This country-style gift and furnishing store sells everything from jellies and jams to couches and tables. The store has been in operation since 1840 and has evolved from the general merchandise store that it once was.
- Address: 1109 Geddes Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-764-0478
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday (closed major holidays)
- Cost: Free/groups of 10 or less (suggested $6/person donation)
At this museum, kids can check out fossils from an allosaurus or spy a stegosaurus. Other finds your kids might enjoy: rocks, minerals, mammals and many more natural history displays.
- Address: 3000 Fuller Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-794-6230
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
As one of Ann Arbor's most popular parks, this 69-acre recreation hot spot includes ponds, picnic spots, a pair of playgrounds, trails and much more. Canoes are also available to rent (call 734-794-6240).
- Address: 2825 Boardwalk Drive (near Zap Zone), Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-995-5055
- Hours: 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 12:30-2:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, 6:30-9 p.m. Friday, 4-6 p.m. Sunday
- Admission: $7/person
Let your little ones bounce in on the fun at Jump City, the coolest indoor inflatable playground in town. Get them giggling during Pop-N-Play hours, where kids can run through, slide down, climb up and jump around in this bouncing wonderland – or host a birthday at Jump City for the ultimate party playtime. Kids get free cookies on Family Bounce Fridays, too.
- Address: 407 N. Fifth Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-5008
- Hours: shops open 10 a.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m. Saturday and noon Sunday; check website for complete market hours
This quaint little plaza – also where the Ann Arbor Farmers Market takes place year round – will tickle everyone's fancies. While strolling through these historical buildings (part of the original village of Ann Arbor), plenty of shops await. Check out Mudpuddles for the coolest, creative toys for kids – or wander around Elephant Ears for whimsical clothes and gear for babes and tots. Then grab a bite to eat at Kosmo's Lunch Counter to enjoy breakfast and lunch favorites all day, as well as an array of Korean dishes – all for a delicious price, too. Everyone's also invited to ring the famous Kerrytown Chimes – comprised of 17 bells! – 10:30-11 a.m. Saturday or noon-12:30 p.m. Wednesday and Friday.
- Address: 551 S. Division St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-663-4590
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-8 p.m. Sunday
Billed as Ann Arbor's oldest hamburger stand – and its fave since 1953 – you can watch as your burger is made right in front of you. The prices rival fast food chains – $2.35 for a double, for a quint (yes, that's five patties) the price is $5.10. Top it with feta or bleu cheese or try the grilled chicken tarragon sandwich.