Best Family Fitness Centers in Southeast Michigan
Where can you find the best workout and active sport fun in 2014 for parents and kids? Try these venues in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
(page 4 of 4)
- Address: 10 N. River Road, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-468-1411
- Hours: 5:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: Rates vary; contact the branch for details
- Amenities: Gym, swimming pool, classes, sports teams, child care, racquetball
From preschool cheerleading and kindergarten hip-hop classes to youth options like swim lessons/team, basketball, T-ball, gymnastics and volleyball, this Y has plenty from which to choose. Offers a gym and classes oriented at parents too.
- Address: 2960 Washtenaw Ave. at Platt Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-971-6355
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: $495 annually for a county resident family pass; $745 for a nonresident family pass
- Amenities: Gym, swimming pool, classes, sports teams, child care, locker room, indoor party pavilion
This fitness center has many ways for you to work out, including free weights, cardio machines, classes and more – plus perks such as community events and summer camps, to name just two.
- Address: 3378 E. Walton Blvd., Auburn Hills
- Phone: 248-370-YMCA
- Hours: 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m., Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: Rates vary; contact the branch for details
- Amenities: Gym, swimming pool, classes, sports teams, child care, indoor track, basketball court, waterslide
For the latest trend in fitness training, try the new CrossFit classes at this Y branch. These smaller classes are like taking a group personal training course – and the workouts are designed to get you toned and feeling fit. There are plenty of other programs for parents, too, plus kids' fun including swimming, basketball, baseball, T-ball, softball, floor hockey, dance, martial arts and preschool enrichment.
- Addresses (two locations): Recreation Center at Hillside: 700 W. Baseline Road; Northville Community Center: 303 W. Main St.
- Phone: 248-349-0203
- Hours: class times vary
- Cost: Varies based on activity; $1-$8/person
- Amenities: Gyms, fitness area, pool
Group fitness classes are taught by experienced certified instructors in the arts of yoga, cardio, Zumba, water fitness and strength classes. Year-round drop-in activities include pickleball, basketball, badminton, volleyball, table tennis, open swim and lap swimming.
- Address: Novi Commerce Center, 40400 Grand River Ave., Suites I and J, Novi
- Phone: 888-309-5311
- Hours: Vary by class; check ahead for details
- Cost: Varies by class; check ahead for details
- Amenities: ONE Body Fit-For-Life signature programs, personal training, small group training, kids programs, nutrition counseling, free babysitting (select days, by reservation)
Classes are the name of the game at this family-oriented center founded in late 2012, from adult classes (try kettle bell, Zumba, a real-life version of popular TV video workout Insanity!) to memberships that include intensive workouts and lots of food and nutrition advice. Check out its Healthy Kids Family Workshops, too.
- Address: 5400 McKinley St., Dearborn Heights
- Phone: 313-277-7080
- Hours: 7 a.m.-9:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 7 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: $199 annually for a resident family pass; $299 for a nonresident family pass (renewed annually; passes are less)
- Amenities: Gym, classes
For a low-key community gym that offers all the fitness equipment you'll need, try this facility. There are also several community events throughout the year, like daddy-daughter and mother-son dances.
- Address: 1016 W. 11 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-547-0030
- Hours: 5 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Cost: Rates vary; contact branch for details
- Amenities: Gym, swimming pool, classes, sports teams, child care
This neighborhood fitness facility has programs to get both kids and adults active while having fun. Visit the website to search for the perfect fits for your family.
- Address: 46000 Summit Parkway, Canton Township
- Phone: 734-394-5460
- Hours: 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 6 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: $630 annually for a resident family pass; $1,260 for a nonresident family pass
- Amenities: Gym, swimming pool, classes, sports teams, racquetball, child care
Your kids will be begging to go back again after playing on the looping sky-high indoor water slide and lazy river. They're sure to get hooked on plenty of other activities, too, at this facility that also features a racquetball court, running track and even an outdoor splash area – not to mention over 65 fitness classes per week.
- Address: 3179 Livernois Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-526-2655
- Hours: 5:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 5:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Cost: Monthly pass costs vary depending on if you want to include classes and whether you are a resident; call for details
- Amenities: Gym, swimming pool, classes, sports teams, child care, outdoor playgrounds, walking paths, game room
Do you have little tykes and teens? Try this destination, complete with a game room, "Teen Scene" and pool that boasts slides and a water toy area. This family-friendly center is perfect for mom and dad too – there's cardiovascular equipment, circuit-training machines, free weights and aerobic and dance studios.
- Address: 6600 W. Maple Road, West Bloomfield
- Phone: 248-661-1000
- Hours: 5:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 5:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday, 6 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Cost: Various pricing levels depending on age, type of membership; call for details
- Amenities: Gym, classes, personal trainers, indoor/outdoor pools, indoor/outdoor tracks, basketball leagues, inline hockey leagues
Water workouts go to a new level at this facility that offers a Wet Jam or Hydrotoning class. Not a swimmer? There are still options for everyone no matter your fitness level, including two indoor tracks. West Bloomfield JCC also now offers kickboxing classes.