Achatz Pie co-founder Wendy Achatz offers this delicious recipe for an amazing apple pie that will delight the entire family. Read our interview with her in the Metro Parent Crumbs blog!
2 1/2 cups pastry flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. sea salt
1/2 cup all natural palm fruit oil
1/2 cup cold butter
1. Mix oil and butter into flour mixture with fingers until crumbly.
2. Add 1/2 cup chilled water.
3. Do not over-mix at this point. Dough will be sticky. Cover with plastic wrap or wax paper and allow to rest in refrigerator for 1 hour.
4. Divide dough in half. Roll out onto a lightly floured surface into an 11" circle to fit pie pan.
7 cups thinly sliced Northern Spy apples
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/2 to 1 tsp. cinnamon
3 Tbsp. butter
1. Toss until apples are well coated; pour into bottom crust and dot with butter.
2. Roll out top dough disk, cover pie and crimp edges. Flute top crust for steam to escape while baking.
3. Brush top crust with water or egg and sprinkle with 2 tablepsoons of sugar.
4. Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes – or until golden brown and apples are tender.
5. If apples are not tender yet and crust is becoming too dark, lower over temperature to 350 and continue to bake until apples are tender. Insert a fork into the middle of pie to test the tenderness of apple slices.