Bistro Green Beans
|Source:||Kristen J. Gough|
Give this overlooked veggie a starring role with this family recipe that cooks up a crisp and flavorful side dish. Read more in the MetroParent.com Crumbs blog.
|Prep Time:||20 minutes or less|
|Number of Servings:||4-6|
|Ingredients:||1 lb. fresh or frozen whole green beans (for frozen, try haricot vert)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice (or 1 teaspoon flavored vinegar)
1/4 cup slivered almonds
Sea salt to taste
Pinch of red pepper flakes (or cayenne powder; optional)
|Directions:||1. Wash the green beans and trim the ends.
2. Fill a medium-sized saucepan with water and bring to a boil (add in a dash of salt).
3. Submerge the green beans into the boiling water for about 3 minutes.
4. Drain and immediately place in ice-cold water for 3 minutes. Drain.
5. In a saute pan, bring the olive oil to medium high heat. Toss in the green beans and almonds.
6. Saute for 1-2 minutes or just until heated through.
7. Sprinkle with salt and lemon juice. Toss. Serve.