Bug Bites Snack
|Source:||Bean Appetit: Hip and Healthy Ways to Have Fun with Food by Shanoon Payette Seip and Kelly Parthen|
The creative moms behind Bean Sprouts serve up this cute dragonfly appetizer recipe your kids will love!
|Ingredients:||• 1/2 whole-wheat pita
• 1 baby dill pickle
• 2 thin carrot matchsticks
• 1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese
• 2 Tbsp. vanilla yogurt
• 1/2 tsp. ground turmeric
• 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
• Pinch of salt
• 2 slices honey-baked turkey breast
• 4 thin orange slices
• 4 thin red apple slices
|Directions:||1. Use clean kids' scissors to cut the pita bread into four 1-inch ovals, to help shape the wings. Use a butter knife to slices one-third of the pickle off the top and set aside for the bug's head. The rest of the pickle will be its tail.
2. Use a toothpick to make two small holes on the top of the pickle head. Slide one small carrot stick into each of the holes for the antennae.
3. Combine cream cheese, yogurt, turmeric, garlic powder and salt in a bowl. Spread it on top of the pita bread.
4. Place the turkey slices on top of each other and roll them up tightly. Place the turkey roll-up in the center of a plate. Place the pickle head at one end, and the rest of the pickle at the other.
5. Ready for the wings? Place two pita ovals on each side of the turkey body. Stack the slices oranges and apples on the wings, ensuring all tips are pointing in. Yields one delicious dragonfly.