A popular party dish in the '60s, fondue is enjoying a comeback today - and it's a great dish to make with the kids. (Don't worry about the wine; most of it will burn off!)
|Ingredients:||2/3 lb. grated gruyere cheese
1/3 lb. grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tsp. flour
Dash of salt
Dash of pepper
Dash of nutmeg
|Directions:||1. In a heavy, stainless steel or non-stick pan, combine the wine with the flour.
2. After the flour is dissolved, bring the mixture to a simmer over low heat.
3. Add the cheeses.
4. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg and slowly stir mixture.
5. When cheese has melted, add milk.
6. Stir until mixture is smooth and thick.
7. Serve from pan or pour into fondue pot.
8. Enjoy with chunks of bread, apple slices, broccoli or other dippers of choice.