Chinese Fried Rice
|Source:||Kristen J. Gough|
Take the mystery out of this delicious family dinner side dish with these savvy tips. Read more in the MetroParent.com Crumbs blog.
|Ingredients:||2 1/2 cups cooked rice
4 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 clove garlic minced
2 eggs (whisked)
1 Tbsp. fish sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. fresh or frozen peas
1 tsp. fresh grated ginger (optional)
1/2 tsp. sesame oil (optional)
1 bunch green onions, sliced (optional)
2 Tbsp. cilantro or Thai basil, minced (optional)
1/2 cup chopped bok choy (optional)
|Directions:||1. Heat the oil in a wok to medium-high.
2. Add the garlic and ginger (if using) and stir-fry just until fragrant (a few seconds will do; any more, and it can burn).
3. Turn the heat to medium and add the eggs. Don't stir; cook just until heated through.
4. Break the eggs apart and push to the side of the pan.
5. Add the rice and let it cook for about two minutes before stirring (I like getting a few crispy pieces).
6. Add the sauces to the pan and stir the ingredients together as you might flip an omelet (in a shoveling motion, vs. stirring a batter).
7. Add the peas and other vegetables you are using. Stir-fry for two more minutes and adjust seasoning, adding more soy or fish sauce to taste.