French Toast Casserole (Overnight)
Do a little prep the night before; then, in the morning, bake for a bit for a sweet treat.
|Ingredients:||1 loaf (1 lb.) French or Challah bread, cut diagonally in thick slices, at least 1 inch think. (Note: Even better if it's an older, drier loaf)
6 jumbo eggs
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup half-and-half cream
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
3/4 cup butter
1 1/3 cups light corn syrup
1 cup toasted pecans (optional)
maple syrup, whipped cream, berries (optional)
1. Butter a 9-by-13 inch baking dish.
2. Then, in a large bowl, beat together jumbo eggs, milk, cream, vanilla and cinnamon.
3. Dip each piece of bread into the milk mixture and set in baking dish.
4. Spoon extra milk mixture over each bread slice.
5. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
7. In a small saucepan, combine butter, brown sugar and corn syrup; heat until bubbling.
8. Carefully pour this hot mixture over the refrigerated bread and egg mixture.
9. If you choose, add toasted pecans.
10. Bake, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
11. Garnish with maple syrup, whipped cream and berries.