Homemade Hash Browns
|Source:||Kristen J. Gough|
Forget that frozen stuff! Make your own hash browns for a much tastier dish the kids will love. Read more about homemade hash browns in the MetroParent.com Crumbs blog.
|Prep Time:||20 minutes + cooking|
|Number of Servings:||4|
|Ingredients:||5 medium-sized red potatoes
1/2 cup onions, diced
3 Tbsp. oil, divided
1 Tbsp. butter
Salt and pepper
|Directions:||1. Place a pot of salted water on the stovetop and heat to boiling.
2. Wash and dry the potatoes.
3. Dice into pinky-sized pieces.
4. Place the potato pieces into the boiling water.
5. Cook for about 10 minutes or until the potatoes are just barely soft.
6. On a large griddle, alternatively, in two large skillets, heat the 1 tablespoon oil to medium-high. (The more heated surface area you have, the more crisped the potato pieces will be.)
7. Add the onions and cook until translucent, set aside.
8. Add 2 more tablespoons oil to the griddle.
9. Place the potato pieces onto the hot oil on the griddle.
10. Let the potatoes cook, without stirring often, until they start to crisp and add the butter halfway through cooking (about five minutes in).
11. Sprinkle the potato pieces liberally with salt and pepper, stir to crisp all sides and mix the onions back into the hash browns. Serve.