Mrs. Fields Cookie Recipe
|Source:||Kristen J. Gough|
The famed recipe gets a coconut add-in, amping-up the chewy factor in this family favorite. Read more in the MetroParent.com Crumbs blog.
|Prep Time:||25 minutes|
|Number of Servings:||3 dozen cookies|
|Ingredients:||2 cups flour (I use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose, 1/2 cup whole wheat)
2 1/4 cups oatmeal
1/3 cup coconut (see directions below)
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 Tbsp. ground flax (optional)
1/4 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1 cup butter (at room temperature)
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 1/3 cups chocolate chips (divided)
2/3 cups chopped walnuts (optional)
|Directions:||1. In a food processor, add shredded coconut and pulse until it becomes broken up, but not fine.
2. Add the oatmeal to the coconut and pulse both together until they become fine.
3. Put all of the dry ingredients in the top list into a mixing bowl and stir to combine (including coconut-oatmeal combo).
4. In another mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugars.
5. Add the eggs into the butter mixture one and a time, until combined.
6. In the food processor bowl (don't clean it yet!), add 1/3 cup chocolate chips and pulse until they resemble cornmeal.
7. On low, blend the butter mixture into the flour mixture.
8. Stir the chocolate pieces, chocolate chips and nuts (if using) into the batter.
9. Refrigerate the dough for at least one hour.
10. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
11. Form the dough into about 1" balls and place on a greased cookie sheet.
12. Bake for 9-12 minutes of until just golden at the edges.
13. Let the cookies cool on the pan before removing.