Red Velvet Cupcakes
|Source:||A Zombie Ate My Cupcake! 25 Deliciously Weird Cupcake Recipes by Lily Vanilli (Cico Books, 2010)|
This yummy from-scratch batter makes the perfect base for Halloween, Valentine or anytime cupcakes for your family.
|Number of Servings:||12 cupcakes|
|Ingredients:||1/4 cup unsalted butter at room temp
2/3 cup super-fine sugar
1 extra-large egg at room temp
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 Tbsp. red food coloring
Pinch of salt
1/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted twice
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
1/2 tsp. baking soda
|Directions:||1. Pre-heat oven to 350 F. Line a muffin-tin* with 12 paper cases.
2. Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together in a bowl until very light (about 5 minutes). Beat in the egg until well blended. In a small separate bowl, beat the vanilla extract, coloring, salt and cocoa into a thick paste. Beat into butter mixture.
3. With the mixer running on a slow speed, add flour to the mixture in three parts, alternating with buttermilk and beginning and ending with the flour.
4. Stir vinegar into baking soda; add to batter, and fold-in using a spatula. Leave to stand for three minutes.
5. Using an ice-cream scoop, spoon batter into paper cases, filling them three-quarters full. Bake for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
6. Cool in pan for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before decorating.
* Note: To allow more space for detail, try an extra-large cupcake tin, which is twice the normal size. You'll need to double the ingredients accordingly.