|Source:||Kristen J. Gough|
This delicious Mexican dessert mixes raisins and cinnamon into a yummy snack perfect for any family after a spicy meal – or just a different treat for the kids! Read more in the Metro Parent Crumbs blog.
|Ingredients:||1 cup rice
4 cups water
1 cinnamon stick (or 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon)
Peel of one lime or lemon (alternatively, use 1 Tbsp. of zest)
14 oz. can sweetened, condensed milk
2 egg yolks
|Directions:||1. Rinse the rice in a colander under cold water until the rinsing water comes out clear on the other side. (This helps remove extra starch on the outside of the rice pieces.)
2. Boil the water with the cinnamon stick and the fruit rind for about 2 to 3 minutes in a medium-sized cooking pan on the stovetop over medium-high heat.
3. Add the rice to the water and cook over medium-high heat.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the condensed milk and egg yolks with a fork.
5. When the rice is cooked through but still firm, reduce the heat to low.
6. Slowly add in the milk-egg mixture and raisins, stirring frequently for 3 to 4 minutes or until the rice is soft.
7. Turn off the heat and cover the pan.
8. Let the rice continue cooking and steaming for about 10 minutes or so.
9. Remove the cinnamon stick and the fruit rind and serve.
10. Rice pudding can be served warm or cold and sprinkled with a little cinnamon.