|Source:||Kristen J. Gough|
Vegetables for dinner? Your kids will say yes with this yummy Mexican meal. Read more about veggie quesadillas in the MetroParent.com Crumbs blog.
|Prep Time:||30 minutes + cook time|
|Number of Servings:||4-6|
|Ingredients:||1 green pepper sliced into thin, 1/2-inch pieces
1 small onion, sliced thin
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can vegetarian refried beans
1 1/2 cups Monterrey Jack cheese
4 flour or corn tortillas
Salt and pepper to taste
|Directions:||1. Add olive oil to a large skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Toss in the green pepper and onion slices and cook until just barely tender.
2. Meanwhile, using a kitchen knife, add about 1/8 to 1/4 cup refried beans to each tortilla. Repeat with four tortillas.
3. Remove the peppers and onions from the skillet and place the bean covered tortilla, uncovered side on the pan.
4. Place 1/4 of the sauteed green peppers and onions, along with a generous handful of cheese, onto the bean-covered tortilla. Add another plain tortilla on top.
5. Flip the tortilla over in the heated pan (as you would with grilled cheese) once the tortilla begins to crisp.
6. Heat the other side of the quesadilla until crisp. Cool for 3-4 minutes before cutting with a pizza cutter.
7. Serve with salsa for dipping.