Maker Faire Detroit at The Henry Ford in Dearborn
Join in this DIY family festival of creating, tinkering and inventing, returning July 28-29, 2012 with games, exhibits and more kids will love
"Tinker. Hack. Invent. Make." That's the tagline of this one-of-a-kind event – a celebration of unbridled creativity and unconventional imagination. And Maker Faire Detroit returns to The Henry Ford in Dearborn July 28-29, 2012 for another year of do-it-yourself fun, running 9:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. both days.
Maker Faire is billed as the "Greatest Show (and Tell) on Earth." It's a showcase of invention, craftiness and resourcefulness – and a place where people display what they're making and share what they're learning.
Since 2010, more than 40,000 people have attended this two-day, family-friendly festival in southeast Michigan (it also happens in other cities across the nation), checking out more than 300 exhibiting makers, demonstrations, tinkerers and hands-on workshops.
What'll you see? Robots, flame shooters, animatronics, solar-powered mechanical sculptures, fashionable finds, musical performances, fire arts and hands-on activities – to name just a sampling.
Makers here range from tech enthusiasts to crafters, educators, tinkerers, hobbyists, engineers, artists, science clubs, students, authors and commercial exhibitors. They are of all ages and backgrounds. Many are local, and others travel in from outside Michigan.
Maker Faire's mission is to entertain, inform, connect and inspire these thousands of makers – and aspiring makers.
Some highlighted events include:
- EepyBird Coke Zero and Mentos Spectacular (5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday)
- Mousetrap, a life-sized game version of the simple contraption (11 a.m. and 1, 3, 4 and 5:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday)
- AudioBody, a high-tech comedy show (10 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Anderson Theater in Henry Ford Museum)
- LEGO Game Show, a Double Dare-style LEGO challenge (starting at 11:30 a.m. and 12:15, 1 and 1:45 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, also at Anderson Theater)
Admission includes both the fair and access to Henry Ford Museum. Costs are as follows:
- Ages 13-61: $28
- Ages 5-12: $19
- Ages 62-plus: $26
- Children 4 and under: Free
For more information on the 2012 Maker Faire Detroit at The Henry Ford in Dearborn, check out the Metro Parent listing.