Ice Cream Shops in Southeast Michigan: Best Independent Scoops
Scrap the ice cream in your freezer at home. In summer 2013, explore unique indie parlors in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties!
(page 1 of 2)
On sweltering summer days, sometimes a scoop (or two) of ice cream can really hit the spot. With dozens of fun, unique ice cream joints sprinkled around southeast Michigan, from metro Detroit to Ann Arbor and beyond, there's bound to be someplace new to check out. You can start by giving one of these local ice cream parlors a try!
- Address: 46540 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-991-0106
- Hours: 2 p.m.-9:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 2 p.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
With about 44 stocked ice cream flavors in-store – including Apple Peaches Pie, Maple Blondie and Ultimate Peanut Butter Brownie – this shop offers a wide variety for all taste buds.
- Address: 1020 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-8858
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
Try a real, fresh-from-the-farm experience at this ice cream shop. Made with milk from their personal cows, each batch is crafted by hand at their farm in Carleton and served up here. Bloo Moo and Fudge Swirl are just two of their whopping 34 flavors.
- Address: 20737 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Woods
- Phone: 313-881-2888
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
This ice cream parlor, with retro decor reminiscent of the 1950s, serves French Alinosi Ice Cream in the sundae of your choice. Flavors include classics like butter pecan and maple walnut, as well as quirky choices like Chocolate Indulgence, Pumpkin and Cinnamon.
- Address: 3312 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-541-6560
- Hours: 1-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, Noon-10:30 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Noon-10 p.m. Sunday
With over 60 different flavors of yogurt and ice cream, the possibilities seem almost endless when it comes to picking your cone, sundae, banana split, malt or shake.
- Address: 1226 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-9111
- Hours: noon-10:30 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, noon-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday
This local spot boasts a giant merry-go-round where little kids can hang while they snack on delicious treats, which include a variety of flavors and the ever-popular treat known as The Mud. It's a mixture of soft serve ice cream and your choice of candy.
- Address: 232 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-5720
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-11 p.m. Sunday
Whether you like your ice cream in a waffle cone, a flurry or just as soft serve in a cup, Dairy King's menu, with 33 stocked flavors, is always changing to make each visit a little different.
- Address: Shelby Township: 6451 Auburn Road.; Warren: 2080 E. 14 Mile Road
- Phone: Shelby Township: 586-254-3080; Warren: 586-275-2470
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Memorial Day-Labor Day, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sept. 3-Oct. 31, 2013
In 1942, it was just a roadside stand. Now, Erma's is a two-location custard powerhouse. In addition to traditional vanilla and chocolate custard flavors, Erma's Original Frozen Custard offers different unique flavors every week – such as Bavarian Cheesecake, Boston Cooler and Coconut Cream Pie.
- Address: 32644 Franklin Road, Franklin
- Phone: 248-562-7708
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 6:30 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday and Saturday
Located in a renovated farmhouse in the middle of Franklin Village, this spot lets you relax on the wrap-around porch while indulging in more than 30 flavors of ice cream and frozen yogurt, like Mint Chocolate Chip and Mackinac Island Fudge.
- Address: 67 Main St., Belleville
- Phone: 734-699-7188
- Hours: Noon-9:30 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, noon-dusk Friday-Saturday
Frosty Boy offers a ton of mouthwatering toppings like toasted coconut, Oreo and Nutter Butter – so you can specialize your cone exactly to your liking. On weekends you can hang around the shop later than usual, as they don't close their doors until everyone is satisfied!