Ice Cream Shops in Southeast Michigan: Best Independent Scoops
You know the chains. Now, try the indies! Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties serve up some of the best family flavors around.
(page 1 of 2)
With the summer months here, ice cream shops and parlors are opening their doors in preparation for their busiest time of the year. Check out these local ice cream hot spots that will cool you and the kids down during the season ahead.
- Address: 46540 Van Dyke Ave., Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-991-0106
- Hours: 1 p.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 1 p.m.-9:30 p.m. Sunday
With about 44 in-store ice cream flavors – including O-O-Oreo, 3D Chocolate and Jacked Up Tennessee Toffee – this shop offers a wide variety for all taste buds.
- Address: 1020 Southfield Road, Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-8858
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
Try a real, fresh-from-the-farm experience at this ice cream shop. Made with milk from their own cows, each batch is crafted by hand at their farm in Carleton and served up here. Cake batter and Holstein Paradise (which includes coconut, chocolate chips and almonds) are two flavors that are new for this summer!
- Address: 20737 Mack Ave., Grosse Pointe Woods
- Phone: 313-881-2888
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
This old-fashioned ice cream parlor, reminiscent of the 1950s, serves French Alinosi Ice Cream in the sundae of your choice. Flavors include classics like butter pecan and maple walnut, as well as interesting flavors like pina colada and pumpkin.
- Address: 3312 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-541-6560
- Hours: 1-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 1-9:30 p.m. Friday, noon-9:30 p.m. Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
With over 60 different flavors of yogurt and ice cream, the possibilities seem almost endless when it comes to picking your cone, sundae, banana split, malt or shake.
- Address: 1226 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-9111
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. daily (summer only)
This local spot boasts a giant merry-go-round where little kids can hang while they snack on delicious treats, which include a variety of flavors and the ever-popular treat known as The Mud. It's a mixture of soft serve ice cream and your choice of candy.
- Address: 232 S. Main St., Plymouth
- Phone: 734-455-5720
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-11 p.m. Sunday
Whether you like your ice cream in a waffle cone, a flurry or just soft serve in a cup, Dairy King's menu is always changing to make each visit a little different.
- Address: Shelby Township: 6451 Auburn Road; Warren: 2080 E. 14 Mile Road
- Phone: Shelby Township: 586-254-3080; Warren: 586-275-2447
- Hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Memorial Day-Labor Day, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Sept. 4-Oct. 31, 2012
In 1942, it was just a roadside stand. Now, Erma's is a two-location custard powerhouse. In addition to traditional vanilla and chocolate custard flavors, Erma's Original Frozen Custard offers different unique flavors every week – such as Christmas in July, red velvet and cherry cheese cake.