Ice Cream Shops in Southeast Michigan: Best Independent Scoops
You know the chains. Now, try the indies! Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties serve up some of the best family flavors around.
(page 2 of 2)
- Address: 32644 Franklin Road, Franklin
- Phone: 248-562-7708
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-9 p.m. daily
Located in a renovated farmhouse in the middle of Franklin Village, this spot lets you relax on the wrap-around porch while indulging in more than 30 flavors of ice cream and frozen yogurt, like Grandpa's Blueberry Way and chocolate peanut butter.
- Address: 67 Main St., Belleville
- Phone: 734-699-7188
- Hours: 11:30 a.m.-10:30 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-10:30 p.m. Sunday
Frosty Boy offers a ton of mouthwatering toppings like toasted coconut, Oreo and Nutter Butter – so you can specialize your cone exactly to your liking.
- Address: 37337 Huron River Drive, New Boston
- Phone: 734-753-9013
- Hours: 4-9 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, 1-9 p.m. Wednesday
The walls of this quirky downriver ice cream shop are covered with license plates, signs, photos and trinkets to keep your eyes just as entertained as your taste buds when you sample one of their cones, sundaes, malts or shakes.
- Address: 21300 Novi Road, Northville
- Phone: 248-349-1466
- Hours: 8 a.m.-10 p.m. daily, Memorial Day-Labor Day (summer), 8 a.m.-9 p.m. daily, Labor Day-Memorial Day (non-summer)
This family-run spot is a one-of-a-kind, Michigan-made treat! Try a scoop of one of its 48 flavors (it's tradition to enjoy your snack on the "famous rock under the tree" just outside). Pick from cones, shakes, banana splits, hot fudge sundaes, brownie fudge treats, hot fudge cream puffs and more.
- Address: 23090 E. Main St., Armada
- Phone: 586-784-5425
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
Offers gourmet dairy and non-dairy treats. And if you're watching those extra calories, try low fat, low calorie iced coffee, real fruit smoothies, specialty yogurt ice cream and more.
- Address: 2461 Russell St., Eastern Market, Detroit
- Phone: 313-393-6016
- Hours: 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
Next time you're spending a hot day shopping at Eastern Market, stop by Mootown Creamery and More, right on Russell Street. Not only do they serve 10 flavors of Michigan-made Hudsonville ice cream, but also other Michigan-made products – such as Faygo pop and Better Made Potato Chips. Fun fact: This is the first ice cream parlor to ever set up shop in Eastern Market since the district was founded in 1891!
- Address: 4233 Coolidge Highway (between 13 and 14 Mile roads), Royal Oak
- Phone: 888-549-5256
- Hours: 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-11 p.m. Sunday
Ray's award winning ice cream is offered in 40 different flavors, including Mackinac Island Fudge, peanut butter and its famous Fat Elvis. This ice cream parlor has been family owned since 1958.
- Address: 302 S. State St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-1700
- Hours: Noon-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 1 p.m.-10:30 Sunday
Opened in Ann Arbor in 1986, Stucchi's now has multiple locations in the southeast Michigan area, two of which are in Ann Arbor. Their ice cream is made in Michigan and features tasty flavors like Buffalo Chip, Scottish Pride and PB Truffle Shuffle.
- Address: 22965 Woodward Ave., Ferndale
- Phone: 248-544-3440
- Hours: 1 p.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 1 p.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 1 p.m.-9 p.m. Sunday
Treat Dreams offers fun offbeat flavors like Chocolate Covered Potato Chip, Pistachio Wasabi and Sunday Breakfast! They also serve frozen yogurts, sugar free options and even lactose-free sorbets.
- Address: 20898 Harper Ave., Harper Woods (note: as of Sept. 2, 2012, it's moving to 22501 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores)
- Phone: 313-343-9059
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. daily
Wally's has perfected the classic ice cream flavors. Try your Wally's ice cream between two cookies, called a Chocolate Cookie Monster. Also available for you to sink your teeth into are banana splits, hot fudge cream puffs and strawberry shortcake!
- Address: 602 S. Ashley St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-3244
- Hours: Summer: 5 a.m.-10 p.m. daily; spring and fall: 5 a.m.-9 p.m. daily; winter: 5 a.m.-8 p.m. daily (closed Christmas Day)
Loaded with flavors like Candy Bar Whirl, Cappuccino Crunch, Play Dough and Sanders Bumpy Cake, it's not surprising that Washtenaw Dairy has been serving the Ann Arbor area for over 75 years.