Ice Cream Shops in Southeast Michigan: Best Independent Scoops
Scrap the ice cream in your freezer at home. In summer 2013, explore unique indie parlors in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties!
(page 2 of 2)
- Address: 37337 Huron River Drive, New Boston
- Phone: 734-753-9013
- Hours: 1-9 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday
The walls of this quirky downriver ice cream shop are covered with license plates, signs, photos and trinkets to keep your eyes just as entertained as your taste buds when you sample one of their cones, sundaes, malts or shakes.
- Address: 21300 Novi Road, Northville
- Phone: 248-349-1466
- Hours: 8 a.m.-10 p.m. daily
Try a scoop of one this family-run spot's one-of-a-kind, Michigan-made 48 ice cream flavors and treats! (It's tradition to enjoy your snack on the "famous rock under the tree" just outside.) Pick from cones, shakes, banana splits, hot fudge sundaes, brownie fudge treats, hot fudge cream puffs and more.
- Address: 1528 E. 11 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-399-7919
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11:30 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-10 p.m. Sunday
Sundaes, smoothies, flurries and shakes are just some of the treats on the menu. This superhero-themed ice cream stop, operating since 1970, also has fun treats appealing to the young and young at heart.
- Address: 23090 E. Main St., Armada
- Phone: 586-784-5425
- Hours: noon-9 p.m. daily
This ice cream shop, established in 1985, offers gourmet dairy and non-dairy treats. And if you're watching those extra calories, try low-fat, low-calorie iced coffee, real fruit smoothies, gelato, specialty yogurt ice cream and more.
- Address: 2461 Russell St., Eastern Market, Detroit
- Phone: 313-393-6016
- Hours: 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday
Next time you're spending a hot day shopping at Eastern Market, stop by this shop right on Russell Street. Not only do they serve Michigan-made Hudsonville ice cream, but also other local products – such as Faygo pop and Better Made Potato Chips. Fun fact: This is the first ice cream parlor to set up shop in Eastern Market since the district was founded in 1891!
- Address: 4233 Coolidge Highway (between 13 and 14 Mile roads), Royal Oak
- Phone: 888-549-5256
- Hours: 10 a.m.-11 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-11 p.m. Sunday
Family owned since 1958, Ray's offers award winning ice cream in 40 different flavors, including Mackinac Island Fudge, Butter Pecan and its famous Fat Elvis.
- Address: Ann Arbor: 302 S. State St.; Dexter: 7050 Dexter-Ann Arbor Road
- Phone: Ann Arbor: 734-662-1716; Dexter: 734-424-0525
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, noon-11 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 1 p.m.-10:30 Sunday
Opened in Ann Arbor in 1986, Stucchi's now has a few locations Michigan locations, two of which are in Washtenaw County. Their ice cream is made right here in the state and features tasty flavors like Almond Joy, French Silk and PB Texas Tea.
- Address: 22965 Woodward Ave., Ferndale
- Phone: 248-544-3440
- Hours: 1 p.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Sunday, 1 p.m.-10 p.m. Friday-Saturday
Treat Dreams offers fun offbeat flavors like Hot Jalepeno, Mexican Chocolate and Sunday Breakfast! They also serve frozen yogurts, sugar-free options and even lactose-free sorbets.
- Address: 901 S. Main St., Chelsea
- Phone: 734-433-0419
- Hours: noon-10 p.m. daily
Cones, flurries, shakes and more: This soft-serve ice cream shop has the staples flavors, as well as FlavorBurst ice cream and frozen yogurt in fun bubblegum, mocha cappuccino and even harvest-apple varieties.
- Address: 22501 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-552-5038
- Hours: 6 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
Now at its new firehouse-inspired digs (complete with fire truck!), Wally's has perfected the classic ice cream flavors. Try your Wally's ice cream between two cookies, called a Chocolate Cookie Monster. Also available for you to sink your teeth into are banana splits, hot fudge cream puffs, Reese's Peanut Butter Avalanche and strawberry shortcake. Yum.
- Address: 602 S. Ashley St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-3244
- Hours: summer: 5 a.m.-10 p.m. daily; spring and fall: 5 a.m.-9 p.m. daily; winter: 5 a.m.-8 p.m. daily (closed Christmas Day)
Stocked with several Stroh's ice cream flavors made right here in Michigan, it's not surprising that Washtenaw Dairy has been serving the Ann Arbor area for over 78 years.