Metro Parent Wins 16 Awards in 2011!
Southeast Michigan magazine and MetroParent.com website earn praise for design and editorial excellence from Parenting Publications of America
Here at Metro Parent, we're big on delivering the best parenting advice to moms and dads in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor. And we're proud to say we just got some really big applause from the Parenting Publications of America!
Metro Parent took home a whopping 16 awards – including 10 gold nods – at the PPA Annual Convention, held March 5, 2011 in Arlington, Virginia. We were up against other large-circulation publications in major metro cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Dallas and Seattle, to name a few. A panel of 25 judges, led by Professor Daryl Moen of the esteemed University of Missouri School of Journalism, cast the votes. And here's the verdict.
Seeing golden stars
So, what got gold? This site, for starters! For the second year running, MetroParent.com won top honors for general excellence. In good old print, both editorial and design earned highest praise in the following categories (click into select categories and get a glimpse of the winning layouts – and read the complete winning stories!):
- Front Cover/Glossy with Original Photo: Metro Parent March 2010
- Special Section: Education 2010 (in the February 2010 issue)
- Ancillary Overall Design: Metro Baby Fall/Winter 2010
- Overall Reporting: Judges said, "This one sets the standard, with well-reported features, columns and listings from front to back. Enterprising ideas spawn original reporting that makes this magazine an important and entertaining resource for parents."
- Overall Writing: "These issues displayed an attention to story-telling."
- Profile: "What's a SAHD?" June 2010 Metro Parent (about stay-at-home dads)
- News Feature: "Separated by the Recession" September 2010 Metro Parent
- Investigative Reporting: "Raising Kids in the D" October 2010 Metro Parent
- Service Feature: "The Bully's Parent" August 2010 Metro Parent
Wait – there's more
From our calendar to our covers, Metro Parent also received several silver and bronze awards.
- Briefs/Short Stuff: Parent Pipeline
- Calendar of Events: Family Fun Guide (check out our online calendar, too!)
- General Feature Writing: "Girls & Asperger's Syndrome" April 2010
- Front Cover/Glossy with Original Photo: Metro Parent September 2010
- Calendar of Events: Family Fun Guide
- Website Content: MetroParent.com
All thanks to you
We're pretty darn excited – but we're especially geeked about our amazing readers and visitors who make it all possible. And your opinion matters most of all! Our doors are always open at the Metro Parent Facebook page. "Like" us to keep in the loop – and to let us know what you'd like to see in the future, or where we can improve.
Thanks to you for making Metro Parent the top parenting resource in southeast Michigan – and beyond!