Maple Sugaring Syrup Events in Southeast Michigan
In March, our state's trees are ready to supply a sweet treat! Learn about the process in fun hands-on family events set for 2014.
(page 2 of 2)
March 8, 2014
- Register: Must do so in advance; act fast to secure space
- Address: Gerald E. Eddy Discovery Center, 17030 Bush Road, Chelsea
- Phone: 734-475-3170
- Times: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday
- Cost: Free
This traditional rite of spring gets its due at Eddy. Learn how maple syrup is made, and then enjoy a pancake and sausage breakfast at the nearby Chelsea American Legion Post 31. Also includes guided walks that demonstrate the various parts of the process. See a film and a display, too, and buy a few maple products on your way out.
March 8, 2014 (note: also offers tours by appointment throughout March)
- Address: McLennan Gardens, 110950 M-52, Manchester
- Phone: 734-428-7005
- Time: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (tours start every two hours)
- Cost: breakfast: $6/adults, $3/children (sides of sausage are extra); tours: $5/person
Swing on by for pancakes served with this spot's famous estate-made Michigan maple syrup! Take a tour to explore its syrup-making operation, too, including handle tools and supplies, a sugar shack and more – plus kids enjoying coloring and crafts. Then, taste test some maple candy and syrup on ice cream. Ask about setting up a tour, too, if you can't make it!
March 8-9, 15-16, 22-23 and 29-30, 2014
Note! Canceled March 1-2 due to freezing weather
- Register: Call in advance to ensure a spot, and to make sure the program is a go (will cancel if weather is too cold)
- Address: Maybury Farm, 50165 Eight Mile Road, Northville
- Phone: 248-374-0200
- Times: 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays
- Cost: $6/person, free/under 2
This annual event features hayrides! You'll see the entire process, including the tapping, sugar shack and transforming sap into maple syrup. The welcome center offers hot chocolate and coffee for sale, plus maple goodies. Dress for the weather, boots are a must.
March 8-9, 15-16, 22-23, 29-30 and April 5-6, 2014
Note! Canceled March 1-2 due to freezing weather; expanded extra weekend
- Register: Must do so in advance; either way be sure to call, in case of further freeze-related cancelations!
- Address: Hudson Mills Metropark, 8801 N. Territorial Road, Dexter
- Phone: 734-426-8211
- Times: 10 and 11 a.m. and noon Saturdays-Sundays; 9 a.m.-2 p.m. breakfast
- Cost: event: $3/person; breakfast: $3.50/kids, $5.50/adults; $7/vehicle day pass
Explore the historic art of collecting sap and processing it into syrup with this fun learning program. Before you do, though, be sure to plunk down the few extra bucks (and get there a bit early) to savor a sample on pancakes.
March 9 and 23, 2014
- Register: By the Friday before (two days in advance; be sure to call)
- Address: Farmington Hills Nature Center, 24915 Farmington Road, Farmington Hills
- Phone: 248-477-1135
- Times: 1-3 p.m. Sundays, March 9 and 23
- Cost: $7/person, $21/family of four
It's DIY syrup time! The entire family gets involved in identifying maple trees and seeing how sap is collected, boiled down and transformed into syrup. Top it off with a treat and instructions to take home. Word has it there'll be some real maple syrup to try on pancakes, too.
March 15-16, 2014
- Address: Historic Center of Wolcott Mill Metropark, 64100 Kunstman Road, Ray Township
- Phone: 586-749-5997
- Times: noon-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Cost: $5/adults, $3/kids, $7/Metroparks vehicle day pass
Swing by to learn how to make maple syrup, complete with crafting, taste testing and an outdoor fire to warm you up along the way. Maple syrup goods are for sale, too. At the park entrance, sign up to try some pancakes with real maple syrup, too.
March 15 and 22, 2014
- Register: By the Friday before
- Address: Cass Benton Park, Northville Road, north of Six Mile Road, Northville
- Phone: 734-261-1990
- Times: 10 and 11 a.m. and noon, Saturdays
- Cost: $6-$7/kids, $2-$3/adults
A historic "sugar bush" still exists in this area. Dress for a short trail hike and check out tree-tapping, pancakes and then enjoy a sample of the real deal.
March 29, 2014
- Register: Must register and pay in advance at the center, as this is a ticketed, popular event that sells out early
- Address: Burgess-Shadbush Nature Center, 4101 River Bends Drive, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-323-2478
- Times: programs start at 11 a.m., noon, 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 p.m.
- Cost: $3/person
Check out the whole maple sugaring process with various demonstrations, from tapping a tree with an old-school "brace and bit" and boiling it down to enjoying some real warm syrup on top of ice cream. All ages welcome.
March 30, 2014
- Register: Recommended to guarantee spot; walk-ins welcome as space allows
- Address: Lloyd A. Stage Nature Center, 6685 Coolidge Highway, Troy
- Phone: 248-524-3567
- Times: 10-11:30 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Costs: $8/adults, $5/ages 3-12
Gather for pancakes, sausage and real maple syrup and support the Troy Nature Society. Ages 3 to adult are welcome. Proceeds benefit programming at the Lloyd A. Stage Nature Center.