Metro Parent Wins Overall Writing PMA Award, More in 2013
Editorial and design scoop up 13 Parenting Media Association prizes at the March 2, 2014 ceremony. New Education Detroit magazine also earns high praise.
Solid writing, crisp design – and fun and easy to read and navigate. That's what readers who pick up Metro Parent can expect, according to judges from the Parenting Media Association, a national trade organization of regional parenting magazines.
This year, Metro Parent took home four gold awards – including editorial nods for "Overall Writing" and "Profile," along with design praise for "Feature Layout" and "Special Section" – at the 2013 PMA Annual Convention, which was held March 2, 2014 in Philadelphia. Also earning accolades were the new Education Detroit publication, our Pink + Blue ancillary (formerly Metro Baby) and super-fun "When Kids are Boss" feature, which were among nine additional silver and bronze awards. Heck, we even grabbed two awards in one category (profile – gold and bronze)!
We were up against other large-circulation publications in major metro cities like Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, Dallas and Seattle, to name a few. A panel of 26 judges, led by Professor Daryl Moen of the University of Missouri School of Journalism, cast the votes. Here's the verdict.
- Feature Layout: "Busy Mom Beauty Tips" article featured a "classic color palette" and "crisp typography," also drawing words like "breezy" and "sophisticated and fun"
- Special Section: Education 2013 in the February edition, which judges noted for its "simple, effective and relevant file-folder motif."
- Overall Writing: Based on three issues from 2013, judges said, "Strong writing and reporting enable this publication to entertain and inform parents about important subjects, including some that might catch parents by surprise. Each edition deftly incorporates the voices of local experts and parents who have been there."
- Profile: "When Kids are Boss" feature by Jacquie Goetz Bluethmann, July 2013, called a "winner" that's "fun to read and also informative."
- Overall Ancillary Design: Education Detroit, launched in November 2013
- Interior Photography: "When Kids are Boss" feature, July 2013
- Editor's Letter: A pair of 2013 entries by executive editor Julia Elliott
- Briefs & Short Stuff: "Parent Pipeline" roundups of local news and tidbits (the "Mishmash" section got a special shout out)
- Ancillary Overall Writing: Education Detroit, launched in November 2013
- Briefs & Short Stuff: "Parent Pipeline" roundups of local news and tidbits
- Calendar: Two 2013 entries from our recent redesign (check out our online calendar here!)
- Profile: Vondra Glass, the "Karate Principal" in Detroit by Amy Kuras, February 2013
- Ancillary General Excellence: Volume 2 of Pink + Blue (formerly Metro Baby) was dubbed "an excellent mix of resource listings and approachable stories. The content is nicely presented and helpfully organized."
Hats off – to you
The awards are really neat, but ultimately, everything we write and design is all for you, our readers! We value your opinion most of all. Please be sure to share it with us – we value positive and negative feedback – at the Metro Parent Facebook page. Thanks for making Metro Parent the successful parenting resource it is.