Family Vacation on a Budget
Save some cash with these 10 savvy tips for a cheap getaway from SuperCoolCoupons.com
If you're on a tight family budget this season but don't want to miss out on a vacation, there are plenty of ways to save money on warm weather getaways. Check out these great ideas for cutting costs and saving money from SuperCoolCoupons.com, a social website that focused on providing 100 percent accurate current coupons.
1. Down to the wire. If you have flexible travel dates, consider booking your trip at the last minute – one to two weeks before departure. Many hotels and airlines post open reservations online to fill rooms or planes because of traveler cancellations. Consider reworking your schedule so that you can take advantage of these deals at a fraction of market cost. Pay attention to the day of the week you're traveling, too. Departures on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays are typically priced lower than those near the end of the week.
2. Build your own low-cost package. If you've been racking up frequent flier miles from, say, holiday shopping, use them up for your getaway. Visit various airlines' websites to find out how to redeem your frequent flier miles for the upcoming trip; then scour hotel deals offline to put together your own low-cost package. This is a great way to save money during this peak travel season.
3. Off the beaten path. Consider booking your break at an offbeat destination that's in its low season. Ski resorts and exotic locales far from beachfront party territory are two great warm-weather options.
4. In good company. Look for locations where you can stay with friends.
5. Give it the business. Mix business with pleasure. Save on airfare by booking a vacation around business travel and stay a few extra days with the family.
6. Food on the house. Find a hotel where with a mini kitchen so you can make your own meals and treat yourself to a restaurant occasionally.
7. Bring the essentials. Pack the diapers, baby food, sunscreen, etc. It will be more expensive to buy at the site.
8. Wise about water. Bring an empty water bottle to re-fill. You will save loads on water costs.
9. Economical packing. Skip bag fees: Pack less and rinse out swim suits, socks, etc in the sink or tub.
10. Hunt for bargains. Scour the web for deals from top travel sites, airlines, cruise ships and others. At SuperCoolCoupons.com, for instance, coupons can include big discounts and freebies.