Southeast Michigan Farmers Market and Community-Supported Agriculture Guide
Looking for local fruits and veggies? Metro Parent's 2013 list covers farm fresh produce from farms to CSAs, from Detroit to Ann Arbor and beyond
(page 6 of 7)
Head to the heart of Warren for plenty of local options you can buy directly from the farmer. This annual outdoor market typically stocks healthy choices galore for families, along with crafts and fun. Now, they've got two locations on two days, so there's no reason to miss out!
- Address: Owen Jax Recreation Center, 8207 E. Nine Mile Road, Warren (Saturdays); Warren Civic Square, Van Dyke Avenue north of 12 Mile Road, Warren (Sundays)
- Schedule: 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, July 6-Sept. 21, 2013; 9 a.m.-2 p.m. Sundays, May 5-Oct. 27, 2013
- Phone: 586-268-8400
Stop by this market to visit more than 25 vendors, all selling something Michigan made or Michigan grown. And because it's held at Goudy Park, there's a playground for the kids. There's all live music.
- Address: Goudy Park, behind city hall, 3355 S. Wayne Road, Wayne
- Schedule: 3-7 p.m. Wednesdays, May 1-Oct. 30, 2013
- Phone: 734-786-8401
Enjoy the cultural center of the city, and see Wayne State's campus, all while shopping for locally grown fruits and veggies! Look out for special events like cooking demonstrations and performances from Mosaic Youth Theater. This spot accepts cash, Bridge Card, WIC Project FRESH and even Senior Project FRESH coupons.
- Address: Wayne State University campus, across from the Detroit Public Library and in front of Prentis Hall, 5201 Cass Ave., Detroit
- Schedule: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesdays, June 5-Oct. 30, 2013
- Phone: 877-978-4636
Looking for new tastes to try for dinner, or just to experience shopping outside in the nice weather? Check out the Westland Farmers' Market with the family for some fresh foods.
- Address: Westland City Hall parking lot, 36601 Ford Road, Westland
- Schedule: 3-7 p.m. Thursdays, May 2-Oct. 31, 2013
- Phone: 734-786-8401
This laid-back community market lures hungry patrons with a yummy mix of food, special events, entertainment and gift items. During its 10th season, check out vendors for a variety of fresh produce, certified organic and non-organic produce, cheeses, baked goods, children's crafts and plenty more.
- Address: On Kercheval Street between Lakepointe and Beaconsfield streets, Grosse Pointe Park
- Schedule: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, May 25-Oct. 26, 2013
- Phone: 313-822-1159, ext. 202
New dinner table ideas are never far away at this Tree Town market. Take home your choice of heirloom tomatoes, fresh herbs, home-baked pies, Michigan farmed shrimp, eggs, cider, artisan cheeses and asparagus, to name a few. Also, look for weekly music and demonstrations, ranging from fresh mozzarella and garlic to fly fishing, African dance and Zingerman's coffee.
- Address: Parking lot at 2501 Jackson Ave., Ann Arbor
- Schedule: 3-7 p.m. Thursdays, June 6-Sept. 26, 2013
- Phone: 269-370-7029
This year is White Lake Farmers' Market's third season. Bring the family here to shop handmade crafts and produce, too. Find everything from soaps, glass art, pottery and lip balms to meats, fruits and veggies.
- Address: Lakeland High School, 1630 Bogie Lake Road, White Lake
- Schedule: 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturdays, May 4-Oct. 5, 2013
- Phone: 248-755-1195
Last year's market offers everything from zucchini to meat pies. Be sure to check out this year's market for a variety of local vendors, too.
- Address: 75 Barker Road, Whitmore Lake
- Schedule: 4-8 p.m. Thursdays, June 13-Sept. 27, 2013
- Phone: 810-623-8131
Livonia's iconic, welcoming white barn – listed as local, state and national historic site – sells plenty of locally grown produce, honey, home-baked items and American-made crafts. Looking for eggplant, tomatoes, beans, carrots, onions, apples, strawberries, blueberries and more? Find it all here. Watch for the barn's regular events, too. Opening day features a petting zoo kids will love.
- Address: Wilson Barn, 29350 W. Chicago St., Livonia
- Schedule: 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturdays, June 22-Oct. 12, 2013
- Phone: 734-261-3602