May Fairs & Festivals in Southeast Michigan
Late spring means family fun season is revving up in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. See what's in store for you and the kids in 2013.
(page 1 of 2)
Warm weather is most definitely in the air. And that means festival season is upon us! In May 2013, there's oodles to get you and the brood off to the right start, from eco awareness, cultural fun and Victorian times to unique delights like butterflies, Polish grub, techno tunes and Civil War re-enactments. And once that concluding Memorial Day weekend hits, get ready – the fair faucet turns on full-blast.
April 25-May 5, 2013
- Times: 4-10 p.m. Thursdays, Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays; noon-11 p.m. Friday and Saturdays, noon-9 p.m. Sundays
- Address: Oakland Pointe Shopping Center, 402 N. Telegraph Road, Pontiac (across from Summit Place Mall)
- Phone: 248-335-9600
- Cost: free general entry, $20/ride wristband
It touts itself as one of the first big outdoor carnivals of the year for southeast Michigan – and, at a whopping 11 days, the story checks out! Rides, food and games are the hallmarks of this family fun annual event.
May 3-19, 2013
- Address: Gibraltar Trade Center, 15525 Racho Road, Taylor
- Times: 4-11 p.m. Wednesdays-Fridays, noon-midnight Saturdays-Sundays
- Phone: 734-287-2000
- Cost: free/general, $20/unlimited wristband on site
It's three full weeks of fun, including rides, a petting zoo, live music, free shows and classic midway fun. Plenty of popcorn, candy apples, corn dogs and funnel cakes, too.
May 11-12, 2013
- Times: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
- Address: Shain Park, South Bates and West Merrill streets, downtown Birmingham
- Phone: 734-662-3382
- Cost: free general entry
The classic boasts more than 175 juried artists dealing fine works in painting, ceramics, jewelry, glass, sculpture, mixed media, fiber, metal and more. The Birmingham Bloomfield Art Center has art fun for kids, too.
May 18, 2013
- Times: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. and 7-9:30 p.m.
- Address: Lion's Field, West St. Clair and South streets, Romeo
- Phone: 586-752-3565
- Cost: free
The village has a big birthday; celebrate with music, art, crafts, re-enactors, a kids zone and old-fashioned family fun. Stick around later for the laser light show.
May 19, 2013
- Time: 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
- Address: Exhibit Museum of Natural History, U of M campus, 1109 Geddes Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-764-0478
- Cost: free
Watch live monarchs in the museum's butterfly sanctuary, use microscopes to see what the wings are made of – and even transform into a butterfly yourself by making your own wings! Pitch in, too, by helping the crew plant perennials in the butterfly garden, weather permitting.
May 23-27, 2013
- Times: midnight-11 p.m.
- Address: Sumpter Fairgrounds, 23501 Sumpter Road, Belleville
- Phone: 734-461-6201
- Cost: free general entry, fees for rides/etc.
This blowout includes clowns, pony rides, magicians and kids activities galore, plus bingo, a beer tent and casino for the adults.