May Fairs & Festivals in Southeast Michigan
Late spring means family fun season is revving up in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. See what's in store for you and the kids in 2013.
(page 2 of 2)
May 24-27, 2013
- Times: 5-11 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday
- Address: campus of Orchard Lake St. Mary
- Cost: free general entry, fees for rides/etc., $10/parking
It's pure family entertainment for a 42nd year, complete with carnival rides, dancing, Polish and American fare. Vegas tent and kids activities like wax hands, mosaics, pottery painting and "squirt the shirt."
May 24-June 9, 2013
- Times: 3-11 p.m. Wednesdays-Thursdays, 3 p.m.-midnight Fridays, noon-midnight Saturdays, noon-11 p.m. Sundays; also open noon-11 p.m. Memorial Day, May 27
- Address: Gibraltar Trade Center, 237 N. River Road, Mount Clemens
- Phone: 586-465-6440
- Cost: free/general, $22/unlimited wristband on site
The midway fun includes fun rides, music, free shows, banana derby monkey jockeys, a petting zoo and lots more fun.
May 25-26, 2013
- Times: 10 a.m-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
- Address: Rochester Municipal Park, 816 Ludlow Ave., Rochester
- Phone: 248-656-0999
- Cost: free general entry
Lumberjack log rolling, axe throwing and chainsaw carving: It's all here, plus arts and crafts and Civil War reenactors. Check out custom cars here on Saturday – and antique cars for the Sunday crowd.
May 25-27, 2013
- Times: about noon-midnight Saturday-Monday
- Address: Hart Plaza, 1 Hart Plaza, Detroit
- Phone: 800-594-TIXX (8499)
- Cost: $49/ticket, presale
Techno tunes have tough roots here in the D, and this annual music fest captures and continues that spirit. Packing in five stages, this Hart Plaza season-opener features Big Gigantic, a MOBY DJ set, Andy C, ADULT. and others. Best for older fan kids and parents who are fans of the genre.
May 25-27, 2013
- Times: 9:30 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday-Monday
- Address: The Henry Ford, Greenfield Village, 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Phone: 313-982-6001
- Cost: free with admission: $24/ages 13-plus, $17.50/ages 5-12, free/4 and under
It's the ultimate Memorial Day weekend commemoration at southeast Michigan's foremost historic spot. This annual summer kick-off honors veterans with 450-plus military re-enactors creating an authentic era encampment for an observance filled with parades, artillery demos and 19th century music. Lots of hands-on activities, too.
May 30-June 1, 2013
- Times: 4-11 p.m. Thursday-Friday, noon-11 p.m. Saturday
- Address: downtown Milan
- Phone: 734-368-3812
- Cost: Free general entry, $1/each ride tickets, $20/wristbands
It all started in 1949 as the Milan Free Fair, and the party hasn't let up yet. Swing by for artisans, tons of food and a parade Friday (6 p.m.), Backstreet CruiZers Thursday and Friday and a petting zoo plus fireworks over Ford Lake Friday. Saturday is kids' day!
May 30-June 2, 2013
- Times: noon-9 p.m. Thursday, noon-11 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, noon-9 p.m. Sunday
- Address: streets surrounding Shain Park, downtown Birmingham
- Phone: 248-644-1700
- Cost: free general entry, $20/ride wristbands
It's a classic community fair, celebrating its 50th anniversary with rides, food booths and carnival games.
May 31-June 2, 2013
- Times: 8 a.m.-7:15 p.m. Friday, 8 a.m.-7:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Address: Raceway at Belle Isle Park, Detroit
- Phone: 866-464-PRIX (7749)
- Cost: $45-$155/adults, $25-$110/unders age 12
Fast cars in three series – including the IZOD IndyCar, GRAND-AM Rolex Sports Car and Pirelli World Challenge – zip along a 2.3-mile track.
May 31-June 2, 2013
- Times: 4-11 p.m. Friday, 7 a.m.-11 p.m. Saturday, 7 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
- Address: Grosse Ile Municipal Airport area, 9601 Groh Road, Grosse Ile
- Phone: 734-675-2364
- Cost: free/general
There's a Saturday parade, classic car cruise and show, airport activities, historical island tour, craft mart, food and more in store.