Music in the Park Events in Southeast Michigan
The 2014 summer concerts are in full gear. Grab the kids, blankets, favorite snacks and head to shows in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
(page 3 of 3)
- Time: 7 p.m.
- Dates: Thursdays, June 5-July 31
- Address: Village Festival Plaza, Kercheval and St. Clair Streets, Grosse Pointe (rain location is Maire Elementary School, 740 Cadieux Road, Grosse Pointe)
- Phone: 313-886-7474
These free jazz concerts feature a variety of talents, including the two local high schools' jazz bands (June 5), The Jimmy Smith Quartet (July 3) and Rhythm Society Orchestra (July 31).
- Time: 6 p.m./doors, 7 p.m./performances
- Dates: Thursdays, June 5-Aug. 28 (no show on July 3)
- Address: New Center Park, 2998 W. Grand Blvd., Detroit
- Phone: 313-420-6000
Catch a variety of artists at this outdoor series in the heart of the D, including Thornetta Davis (June 5), Motown Legend's Gospel Choir (July 24) and folk outfit Breathe Owl Breathe (Aug. 14). There's music every Thursday except July 3. Note: Venue also hosts Wednesday night movies and Saturday dance parties.
- Time: 7-9 p.m.
- Dates: Fridays, June 6-Aug. 29, 2014
- Address: Downtown Northville Town Square, East Main Street between Center and Hutton streets
- Phone: 248-349-0203
Groove Therapy (June 6), Big Ray and the Motor City Kings (July 11) and other artists from a wide range of musical genres make appearances.
- Time: 6:30 p.m.
- Dates: second and fourth Fridays, June 13-Aug. 22, 2014
- Address: Muirhead Plaza, at the clock tower, 22100 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Phone: 313-943-2180
From jazz to hip-hop to dance, there is something for everyone during these concerts. Food trucks will be popping up, or bring a picnic.
- Time: 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Dates: Tuesdays, June 17-Aug. 26, 2014
- Address: Town Square, downtown Northville (rain location is Genitti's Hole-in-the-Wall, 108 E. Main St.)
- Phone: 248-349-0203
This children's concert series features performances for the whole family. Watch for popular local acts; past fare has included Zippity 2 Dads, Gemini, Guy Louis, the Chautauqua Express and more.
- Time: noon
- Dates: Wednesdays, June 18-Aug. 20, 2014
- Address: Kellogg Park, Main Street and Penniman Avenue, downtown Plymouth (rain location is The Gathering pavilion, Penniman Avenue and South Union Street)
- Phone: 734-416-4278
This popular series turns 30 years old! Guy Louis and the Chautauqua Express start out the weekly concert series this summer at this family-friendly program. Other performers include Saline Fiddlers (June 25), Beverly Meyer (July 9), Gemini (July 23) and many more.
- Time: 7:30-9 p.m.
- Dates: Thursdays, June 19-Aug. 7, 2014
- Address: Heritage Park Amphitheatre, near Canton Center Road and Heritage Park Drive, Canton
- Phone: 734-394-5100
Musical acts include Trilogy Variety Band (June 19), The Backbeats (June 26), Midwest Dueling Pianos (July 3) and Persuasion Band (July 24).
- Time: 7-9 p.m.
- Dates: Wednesdays, July 9-Aug. 13, 2014
- Address: Dearborn City Hall Park, 13615 Michigan Ave.
- Phone: 313-943-3141
Musical acts include Alexander Zonjic & Friends (July 9), Jackiem Joyner (July 23), Urban Jazz Coalition (July 30) and more. Bring lawn chairs or blankets and stake out a good spot. Nearby restaurants will be selling food, too.
- Times: 7-9 p.m.
- Dates: Thursdays, July 10-Aug. 28, 2014
- Address: On the steps of Livonia City Hall, Five Mile and Farmington roads
- Phone: 734-466-2900
Head out to Livonia to hear some great tunes this summer in this annual series that brings the community together. Acts range from The Earth Angels (July 24) to Steve King & the Dittilies (Aug. 28).
- Time: 8-10 p.m.
- Dates: Fridays, July 11-Aug. 15
- Address: GM Riverfront Plaza, by Renaissance Center, Detroit
Six free shows featuring big names pump up the volume on the Detroit Riverfront, thanks to Classic Rock 94.7 WCSX-FM. See The Guess Who July 11, Leon Russell July 18, Starship July 25, April Wine Aug. 1, Eddie Money Aug. 8 and America on Aug. 15.
- Time: 3:30 p.m.
- Dates: Thursdays, July 17, 24, 30 and Aug. 7, 2014 (note: July 30 is a movie)
- Address: Trenton Cultural Center, 2427 West Road, Trenton
- Phone: 734-676-7172
Check out these interactive, energetic shows just for kids, beneath shady trees (lemonade provided!). Enjoy performances from bands like the Deep Fried Pickle Project on July 17, as well as the Handy Billy Band for moms and dads on Aug. 7. For a change of pace, catch The Lego Movie at dusk July 30.
- Time: 6 p.m./grounds, 7:30 p.m./show
- Dates: Wednesdays, July 23, 30, Aug. 6 and 13
- Address: Grosse Pointe War Memorial, 32 Lake Shore Road, Grosse Pointe Farms
- Phone: 313-881-7511
Enjoy music in the fresh air along Lake St. Clair. Bring a folding chair or blanket. See Dave Bennett July 23, Magic Bus July 30, Air Margaritaville Aug. 6 and New Odyssey Aug. 13.