Independent Toy Stores in Southeast Michigan
The holiday season is here! Get the kids something unique in 2013 by shopping at these unique shops in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
Give a gift to remember this year: Visit your local mom-and-pop stores and pick out one-of-a-kind presents for kids of all ages. These independent shops offer dolls, trains, puzzles, customizable gifts and plenty more. We're sure you will find the perfect surprise for you wee ones or even those that are kids at heart.
Check out Metro Parent's guide to find an indie toy store right in your backyard, in metro Detroit, Ann Arbor and beyond. Many offer special holiday promotions and hours, too, so call ahead or check the websites before you head out. Happy shopping!
- Address: 250 W. Maple Road, Birmingham
- Phone: 248-646-5550
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday; call ahead for extended holiday hours
With a wide assortment of toys, this Birmingham favorite stocks plenty of games, trains, puzzles, stuffed animals and more. They even offer "Toy Store Takeout" if you need a quick gift. Give them call; they'll get it ready and wrapped – all you have to do is pick it up.
- Address: 3074 Walton Blvd., University Square Shopping Center, Rochester Hills
- Phone: 248-375-2400
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday; call ahead for extended holiday hours
There are tons of educational games, plus toys, crafts, customizable bags and train sets. Find plenty to play with here, too: Try the marble run, and you'll want one for yourself!
- Address: 102 N. Lafayette St., South Lyon
- Phone: 248-486-0450
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday and Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday; call ahead for holiday hours
Doll lovers are in luck! This shop features figurines for all ages, including Alexander Doll Company, Corolle Dolls, Lee Middleton and much more. That selection pairs up with other great finds like Thomas the Train, Bruder trucks and more delightful toys.
- Kerrytown Shops: 415 N. Fifth Ave., Kerrytown Shops, Ann Arbor; 734-622-9580; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Wednesday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday (holiday hours end Dec. 31, 2013)
- Briarwood Mall: New in 2013! 100 Briarwood Circle (Von Maur wing, across from LensCrafters), Ann Arbor; 734-761-6833; see mall holiday hours for details
Play mats, snow gear and strollers? Check! You'll find toys, clothes and furniture for babies through tweens at this store. It also carries organic, fair-trade and U.S.-made products. Just in time for the holiday season, visit its new location at Briarwood Mall.
- Address: 114 E. Fourth St., Rochester
- Phone: 248-651-1511
- Hours: 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday-Friday and 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Sunday
Looking for Playmobil sets? Froggy's has plenty, along with Madame Alexander dolls, Calico Critters and nooks filled with traditional toys. Check out the new Folkmanis Puppets, too. Kids can even cozy up by the hearth to read a good book.
- Address: 5 N. Washington St., Oxford
- Phone: 248-572-4828
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday; call for extended holiday hours
Games, toys, magic tricks and more: This shop has something for every age and interest. Stop in and check out the board games, remote-control spacemen, Department 56 collectibles and sock monkey clothing. Start a new family tradition this year and pick up an Elf on the Shelf, offering boy and girl versions.
- Address: 550 Forest Ave., Suite 8, Plymouth
- Phone: 734-414-9500
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
If you're looking for engaging toys, this is the place. It has award-winning family games, science and craft kits, challenging puzzles and more. You'll find pretend play items for tots, too. Mom and dad will love this store, as well: It features toys you grew up with and haven't seen in ages!
- Address: The Mall at Partridge Creek, 17420 Hall Road, Clinton Township (between center court and Nordstrom)
- Phone: 586-228-0814
- Hours: same as mall hours (see here for holiday mall hours)
This shop stocks games, crafts, magic gadgets, LEGOs, plushies and more, all with an educational spin. There's something for the entire family, including classics like Monopoly (they have many versions) and Uno, as well as strategy games. Suitable for kids – and fun for adults too!
- Primary: 5530 Sashabaw Road, Clarkston; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
- Downtown: KH Home Lower Level, 27 S. Main St., Clarkston; opens 9:45 a.m. daily and remains open typically until 6 or 9 p.m., depending on day (check ahead, as schedule varies)
- Phone (both): 248-620-0700
You're encouraged to play before you buy at this store. It has tons of toys to work the body and mind, from craft and science kits to Spooner Boards and Perplexus. Fun for everyone – and free gift-wrapping! Call for special promotions and hours.
- Address: 108 E. Middle St., Chelsea
- Phone: 734-562-2040
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday-Saturday and noon-4 p.m. Sunday
This locally owned shop sells a variety of goods for young and old. You'll find music supplies, books, toys and more. It's also pet-friendly, so there's no need to leave your pup at home.
- Address: 12855 East Old US-12, Chelsea
- Phone: 734-489-5153
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday, Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday, closed Thursday, 2 p.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Toy trains are hot at this spot, but they also sell other toys, like Legos and Melissa & Doug.
- Address: 322 W. Main St., Brighton
- Phone: 810-229-0910
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, noon-4 p.m. Sunday; call for extended holiday hours
Along with an array of toys, books and LEGO sets, this toy store stocks more unusual gifts like handcrafted wooden Russian dolls and glass-blown figurines. Come check out their new lines, which include Djeco and Breyer horses.
- Address: 407 N. Fifth Ave., Kerrytown Shops, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-0022
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Wednesday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday (Nov. 17-Dec. 31, 2013; otherwise, closes one hour earlier)
The store features award-winning games, creative toys, Klutz activity books and Folkmanis Puppets. Find gifts here to pique your child's imagination. It also carries stocking stuffers for adults.
- Saline: 7025 E. Michigan Ave., Saline; 734-944-3628; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday (holiday hours)
- Ann Arbor: 3010 Washtenaw Ave. Suite 107, Ann Arbor; 734-585-0788; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday (holiday hours)
From maternity clothes to kids apparel, puzzles to dolls, books to musical instruments, this store tries to offer something for the early stages of your child's development. Check out the new location in Ann Arbor this holiday season. Discover imagination-powered toys and plenty more.
- Address: 1249 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-580-4536
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday (Oct. 21-Dec. 24, 2013 only; then another pop-up moves in to this address)
Get some unique Christmas gift shopping done at this new pop-up shop serving the Detroit area. Spielhaus hopes to become a permanent fixture in the city of Detroit in the future.
- Address: 122 W. Maple Road, Birmingham
- Phone: 248-723-9832
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday; call for extended holiday hours
While this gift shop might be small, it holds fun finds in every nook and cranny. Suhm Thing offers unique home decor, jewelry, stationery and more.
- Address: 3947 W. 12 Mile Road, Berkley
- Phone: 248-543-3115
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Thursday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday
This specialty toy store has a great selection of quality toys for kids from birth on up, including Playmobil, Schleich, Corolle Dolls, Creativity for Kids, Melissa & Doug, LEGO and more. The shop also restores antique dolls (but check ahead; during the holidays especially, this service tends to book up many weeks in advance).
- Address: 210 S. Main St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-668-7886
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday; call ahead for extended holiday hours
Bring your child to peek at the fairy door at this local shop. For an eclectic mix of toys – like Jellycat plush animals, jewelry, folk art and more – stop by The Peaceable Kingdom.
- Address: 637 S. Eton St., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-723-9100
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8:30 a.m. Tuesday, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Wednesday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday; call ahead for extended hours over Thanksgiving holiday
This LEGO wonderland has a gift shop filled with great LEGO kits (including some cool holiday-themed finds), LaQ construction toys, books and lots more for creative children. Why not bring 'em along? Starting at noon on Saturdays, there's a drop-in playtime too ($8). It also offers camps during the holiday break (Dec. 23-Jan. 3; call ahead for times, costs and details).
- Address: Orchard Mall, 6389 Orchard Lake Road, West Bloomfield
- Phone: 248-562-7524
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Wednesday and Friday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, noon-4 p.m. Sunday (holidays)
This store has something for kids of all ages – from items for imaginative play to puzzles, board games, infant toys, plushies and more. It even stocks products for the special needs community. Stop in and see a "toyologist" for help on picking up the perfect gift.
- Address: 400 N. Main St., Milford
- Phone: 248-684-TOYS (8697)
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday; call ahead for extended holiday hours
Relive your childhood as your take a walk through this local shop.
- Address: 21714 Harper Ave., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-771-6770
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 pm. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday (Nov. 29-Dec. 31, 2013; otherwise 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-5 p.m. Sunday)
A tradition for more than 40 years, this store is filled with creative toys like Madame Alexander dolls, Breyer model horses, Brio train sets, Melissa & Doug toys, model kits and much more.