Independent Toy and Kid Gift Stores in Southeast Michigan
The holiday season is here! Get the kids something unique in 2014 by shopping at these special shops in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
(page 1 of 4)
Give a gift to remember this year: Visit your local mom-and-pop stores and pick out one-of-a-kind presents for kids of all ages. These independent shops offer dolls, trains, puzzles, customizable gifts and plenty more. We're sure you will find the perfect surprise for you wee ones or even those that are kids at heart. Check out Metro Parent's guide to find an indie toy store right in your backyard – in metro Detroit, Ann Arbor and beyond. Many offer special holiday promotions and hours, too, so call ahead or check the websites before you head out. Happy shopping!
- Address: 250 W. Maple Road, Birmingham
- Phone: 248-646-5550
- Regular hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
- 2014 holiday hours: call closer to Hanukkah and Christmas for extended times
With a wide assortment of toys, this Birmingham favorite stocks plenty of games, trains, puzzles, stuffed animals and more. It even offers "Toy Store Takeout" if you need a quick gift. Give them call; they'll get it ready and wrapped – all you have to do is pick it up.
- Address: 3074 Walton Blvd., University Square Shopping Center, Rochester Hills
- Phone: 248-375-2400
- Regular hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- 2014 holiday hours: call for extended times
There are tons of educational games, plus toys, crafts and train sets to be found at this shop.
- Address: 114 N. Main St., Chelsea
- Phone: 734-497-9344
- Regular hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday, closed Wednesday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, 2-5 p.m. Sundays
- 2014 holiday hours: check the website or call for the latest
This store stocks kids clothing and popular toy brands including Lego, Mega Bloks, Marvel, Disney, Fisher Price, Tomy and Mattel. Boasts 20 toys that are under $1.50 a pop, too.
- Address: 102 N. Lafayette St., South Lyon
- Phone: 248-486-0450
- Regular hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday and Friday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday-Monday
- 2014 holiday hours: Check on the website or Facebook page for updates on hours.
Doll lovers are in luck! This shop features figurines for all ages, including Madame Alexander Doll Co., Corolle, Lee Middleton and more. That selection pairs up with other great finds like Thomas the Tank, Bruder trucks and more delightful toys.
- Address: 415 N. Fifth Ave., Kerrytown Shops, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-622-9580
- Regular hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Wednesday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- 2014 holiday hours: extended hours on Fridays (10 a.m.-8 p.m.) Nov. 28-Dec. 26
Books, music, snow gear and strollers? Check! You'll find toys, clothes and furniture for babies through tweens at this store.
- Address: 17110 Kercheval Ave., Grosse Pointe
- Phone: 313-571-3044
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, noon-4 p.m. Sundays
- 2014 holiday hours: open until 8 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays (Dec. 4-5, 11-12 and 18-19); open until 5 p.m. Sundays (Dec. 7, 14 and 21)
Since 2012, this spot's offered lots of cool stuff for tween/teen girls, from gifts and crafts to accessories, personalized items and room decor. There's a section of finds for younger girls and babies, too. About half the store is also dedicated to moms and the grown-up gals, including jewelry, scarves, purses, shawls and more.