Independent Toy Stores in Southeast Michigan
The holiday season is here! Get the kids something unique in 2013 by shopping at these unique shops in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties.
(page 2 of 3)
- Address: The Mall at Partridge Creek, 17420 Hall Road, Clinton Township (between center court and Nordstrom)
- Phone: 586-228-0814
- Hours: same as mall hours (see here for holiday mall hours)
This shop stocks games, crafts, magic gadgets, LEGOs, plushies and more, all with an educational spin. There's something for the entire family, including classics like Monopoly (they have many versions) and Uno, as well as strategy games. Suitable for kids – and fun for adults too!
- Primary: 5530 Sashabaw Road, Clarkston; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday
- Downtown: KH Home Lower Level, 27 S. Main St., Clarkston; opens 9:45 a.m. daily and remains open typically until 6 or 9 p.m., depending on day (check ahead, as schedule varies)
- Phone (both): 248-620-0700
You're encouraged to play before you buy at this store. It has tons of toys to work the body and mind, from craft and science kits to Spooner Boards and Perplexus. Fun for everyone – and free gift-wrapping! Call for special promotions and hours.
- Address: 108 E. Middle St., Chelsea
- Phone: 734-562-2040
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, 10 a.m.-8:30 p.m. Thursday, 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday-Saturday and noon-4 p.m. Sunday
This locally owned shop sells a variety of goods for young and old. You'll find music supplies, books, toys and more. It's also pet-friendly, so there's no need to leave your pup at home.
- Address: Westgate Shopping Center, 2465 W. Stadium Blvd., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-997-0707
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 pm. Monday-Wednesday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday
Part of a franchise family about 130 strong, this is its sole southeast Michigan location, featuring a variety of toys in a friendly, hands-on atmosphere.
- Address: 328 S. Ashley St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-332-1101
- Hours: 11 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesday-Sunday
A charming little shop, it features infant toys made with organic cotton, wooden toys for toddlers and Waldorf dolls, all meeting high toy safety standards.
- Address: 322 W. Main St., Brighton
- Phone: 810-229-0910
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Thursday and Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday, noon-4 p.m. Sunday; call for extended holiday hours
Along with an array of toys, books and LEGO sets, this toy store stocks more unusual gifts like handcrafted wooden Russian dolls and glass-blown figurines. Come check out their new lines, which include Djeco and Breyer horses.
- Address: 407 N. Fifth Ave., Kerrytown Shops, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-0022
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Tuesday and Thursday-Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Wednesday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday (Nov. 17-Dec. 31, 2013; otherwise, closes one hour earlier)
The store features award-winning games, creative toys, Klutz activity books and Folkmanis Puppets. Find gifts here to pique your child's imagination. It also carries stocking stuffers for adults.
- Saline: 7025 E. Michigan Ave., Saline; 734-944-3628; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sunday (holiday hours)
- Ann Arbor: 3010 Washtenaw Ave. Suite 107, Ann Arbor; 734-585-0788; 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday (holiday hours)
From maternity clothes to kids apparel, puzzles to dolls, books to musical instruments, this store tries to offer something for the early stages of your child's development. Check out the new location in Ann Arbor this holiday season. Discover imagination-powered toys and plenty more.
- Address: 1249 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-580-4536
- Hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Tuesday-Saturday (Oct. 21-Dec. 24, 2013 only; then another pop-up moves in to this address)
Get some unique Christmas gift shopping done at this new pop-up shop serving the Detroit area. Spielhaus hopes to become a permanent fixture in the city of Detroit in the future.