Indoor & Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southeast Michigan
Try a day of skating with the family at one of these rinks in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. Find hours and costs for 2013-14 in this guide.
(page 1 of 3)
There are many ways to have a Michigan ice skating experience this year. You can try indoors in an arena, an outdoor rink like at Campus Martius in downtown Detroit – or even try an all-out Currier and Ives scene on a local park's frozen pond! Are you still wobbly on those skates? There are many programs available for skaters of all ages and skill levels. Skating with sticks and pucks more your style? Many of these rinks offer pick-up hockey, too. Find an ice rink near you in Metro Parent's guide to area skate times. A few of these rinks have holiday events and extended hours when the kids are on break – so check out their websites or call for the most up-to-date information!
- Address: 2121 Oak Valley Drive, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-213-1600
- 2013-14 hours: Open skate: 10:30-11:50 a.m. Monday-Tuesday and Thursday, 6-7:50 a.m. and 10:30-11:50 a.m. Wednesday and Friday, 12:15-1:35 p.m. and 5:30-6:50 p.m. Saturday, hours vary Sunday (Note: Additional open skate starts Dec. 7, 2013 10-11:20 p.m. Friday; schedule varies daily, check the web for complete hours).
- Costs: Open skate: $4/adults, $3/kids (ages 12 and under), $3/skate rental
The Cube is a regional favorite and a perfect place to lace up and practice your ice moves. It's home to a number of youth and adult hockey leagues, as well as many figure skating competitions. If you're new to skating, try out lessons through the Ann Arbor Figure Skating Club.
- Address: 501 Coliseum Drive, Chelsea
- Phone: 734-433-4444
- 2013-14 hours: See website for schedule; varies day-to-day
- Cost: Weekends and non-school days: $5/adults, $4/kids (under age 14); Mondays-Fridays (when school is in session): $3/kids and adults, $3/skate rental
Skate all day on one of two rinks; then, enjoy lunch as you warm up in the Arctic Breakaway restaurant overlooking the ice. Check the website for a complete schedule of beginner classes, drop-in hockey and figure skating and special events, including DJ nights.
- Address: 46615 Michigan Ave., Canton
- Phone: 734-487-7777
- 2013-14 hours: Open skate: 4-5:50 p.m. Sunday, noon-12:50 p.m. Wednesday, noon-12:50 p.m. and 7-8:50 p.m. Friday, 1-2:50 p.m. and 8:30-10:20 p.m. Saturday
- Costs: Open skate: $5/adults, $3/kids (ages 14 and under), $3/skate rental; lockers are also available (bring your own lock)
While many Olympic skaters call the Arctic Edge Ice Arena home, you don't have to be a pro to enjoy this awesome facility. Learn to skate, drop-in for one of the adult hockey leagues or join a broomball team (it's like hockey but played with special brooms and shoes).
- Address: 100 Briarwood Cir, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-761-9550
- 2013-14 hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
- Costs: $6/hour, $2/skate rental per hour
Make a day of shopping and skating fun at the Briarwood Mall Winter Wonderland! They've installed a new 2,400 square-foot "ice" rink that is actually laminate flooring that can be skated on with regular ice skates. The rink is planned to be open to the public throughout 2014.
- Address: 2751 Packard Road, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-971-3228
- 2013-14 hours: Open skate: 7:45-8:45 p.m. Tuesday, 4:45-5:45 p.m. and 7:15-8:45 p.m. Wednesday, 7:15-8:45 p.m. Thursday-Friday, 2:30-4:30 p.m. and 7:15-8:45 p.m. Saturday, 3:15-5:30 p.m. Sunday
- 2013-14 dates: Nov. 9, 2013-March 30, 2014
- Cost: $5/adults (residents), $4/kids (age 17 and under, residents), $3/skate rental; nonresidents pay $1 more for admission
This fun skating rink has themed parties like Funky Frosty Fridays, where you can win prizes if you dress in costume (think bell bottoms on '70s night or cowboy hats at the Hoedown Skate). Check Buhr's website for additional events and school break skating times.
- Address: 2300 E. Lincoln St., Birmingham
- Phone: 248-530-1640
- 2013-14 hours: See website for daily and monthly open skate times
- Cost: $5/adults (age 18-plus), $4/kids (ages 17 and under), $3/skate rental
If you or your child is looking to learn how to skate, you'll want to check out Birmingham's ice arena. It offers hockey, figure skating and lessons for beginners of all ages! Check out the website for a variety of classes, open skate times and extended holiday hours.