Indoor & Outdoor Ice Skating Rinks in Southeast Michigan
Try a day of skating with the family at one of these rinks in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. Find hours and costs for 2013-14 in this guide.
(page 3 of 3)
- Address: 20000 Stephens St., St. Clair Shores
- Phone: 586-445-5350
- 2013-14 hours: 3-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; see website for other programs and times
- Cost: $3/skater, kids ages 5 and under get in free with a paying adult
If you or your kids are still beginners on those skates, this ice rink is for you. Its open skating on weekends is cheap, as are the children's lessons, which are 11 a.m.-noon Thursdays ($3/skater). The Pucks & Parents program helps develop your child's skills; check it out 2-3 p.m. Thursdays and 9:30-10:30 a.m. Fridays. For the more experienced skaters, check out the evening adult hockey leagues.
- Address: Stony Creek Lake boat launch area, 4300 Main Park Road, Shelby Township
- Phone: 586-781-4242
- 2013-14 hours: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily, depending on weather conditions
- 2013-14 dates: Typically open November-March; call for conditions
- Cost: Entrance into the park is $5/vehicle or $25/annual pass
If you're looking for more of a winter wonderland setting for your ice skating outing, consider the rink at Stony Creek Metropark. While there are no skate rentals, you'll find refuge in the warming room (complete with vending machines and restrooms) to defrost fingers and toes.
- Address: 54755 Broughton Road, Macomb Township
- Phone: 586-992-8600
- 2013-14 hours: noon-1:50 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8:15-10:05 p.m. Friday, 2:45-4:35 p.m. and 8:15-10:05 p.m. Saturday, 2:45-4:35 p.m. Sunday; see website for monthly open skate schedule
- Cost: $5/adults (ages 13-plus), $4/kids, $3/noon skate all ages, $3/skate rental, $2/noon skate rental, $7/SK8 Jamz Friday and Saturday evenings
Choose from three locations (there are also facilities in Farmington Hills and East Lansing) and enjoy a midday noon skate or lace up in the evening. Also offers hockey clinics and learn-to-skate program for kids ages 3 and up.
- Address: 800 Woodward Ave., Detroit
- Phone: 313-963-9393
- 2013-14 hours: 11 a.m.-10 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight Friday, 10 a.m.-midnight Saturday, noon-8 p.m. Sunday
- 2013-14 dates: Nov. 22, 2013-March 2, 2014
- Cost: $7/adults, $6/kids under age 12, $3/skate rental
Located in bustling downtown, this rink is Detroit's answer to NYC's Rockefeller Center. Skate all day and night under the giant Christmas tree in Campus Martius. Be sure to dress warm!
- Address: 2150 Jackson Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-794-6235
- 2013-14 hours: Open skate: 1:20-2:45 p.m. Tuesday-Wednesday, 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Thursday, 1-2:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Cost: $5/adults (residents), $4/kids (ages 14 and under, residents), $3/skate rental (nonresidents pay $1 more)
This rink holds plenty of special events, including Skating with Frosty, where kids can meet and greet with their favorite magical snowman! You'll find on-site lockers for your gear and a pro shop to sharpen up old blades. Be sure to check out the website for special holiday hours.
- Address: 1000 S. State St., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-764-4600
- 2013-14 hours: Public skate: noon-1 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8-9:50 p.m. Thursday, 8-9:20 p.m. Friday, 1-2:50 p.m. Saturday-Sunday (Note: Check the website for updated times; closed during home University of Michigan football games)
- Cost: $6/adults, $3/kids, $3/noon skate, $3/skate rental, $2/noon skate rental
Located on the University of Michigan Athletic Campus, this newly renovated ice arena lets you skate on the same ice that the U-M hockey team plays on! In addition to open skating times, future figure skaters and hockey players can take lessons here. Check out the website for more details on children and adult hockey programs.