Santa Appearances in Southeast Michigan
Have you been good in 2013? It's time for an annual visit with Mr. Claus! Here are top places in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties to meet him.
Santa Claus is coming to your town. He's a busy guy, but Kris Kringle always makes time to visit the children of southeast Michigan. Check out Metro Parent's roundup of the best places to catch Santa in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. You'll find him in several spots, including southeast Michigan malls and downtowns and at the many holiday parades in the region.
- 2013 Santa hours: roughly coincides with mall: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, noon-6 p.m. Sundays (closed Thanksgiving, Nov. 28; hours are 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 1 and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 24), Nov. 8-Dec. 24 (note: Santa generally take a lunch and early-dinner break; check ahead for times)
- Address: 100 Briarwood Circle, Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-769-9610
There are plenty of opportunities to have a photo snapped with the jolly fellow. Special events include carols with Mr. and Mrs. Claus (6 p.m. Nov. 8). To support Mott Children's Hospital, sign up for the Santa Breakfast at California Pizza Kitchen at 9 a.m. Dec. 7. For children with sensitivities to flashes and music, there's a Caring Santa event 9 a.m. Dec. 8. There also are select Sundays where your pet can get a photo with Santa: 8-9 p.m. Nov. 11, 18 and 25 and Dec. 16.
- 2013 Santa hours: 8-10 a.m. Dec. 7, 14 and 21 (Saturdays)
- Address: 8450 W. 10 Mile Road, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-541-5717, ext. 9
- Cost: $30/ages 15-plus, $25/ages 14 and under; this cost includes zoo admission and parking
At this zoo tradition, eat a buffet-style breakfast with Santa Claus and a few of his animal friends in the zoo's Wildlife Interpretive Gallery. Photos with Santa are available for purchase. This is a popular event, so be sure to reserve your seat now!
- 2013 Santa hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Nov. 29-30, noon-5 p.m. Dec. 1, 4-7 p.m. Dec. 6, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 7, noon-5 p.m. Dec. 8, 4-7 p.m. Dec. 13, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 14, noon-5 p.m. Dec. 15, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 16-23, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 24
- Address: 1800 Vernier Road, Harper Woods
- Phone: 313-371-1501
The official kickoff, at 11 a.m. on Nov. 29, features Mrs. Claus, the elves and live reindeer, who have been visiting Eastland for over 20 years – plus face painting, cookies, crafts and more. Then, Santa takes his post to hear those holiday wishes through Christmas Eve.
- 2013 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sundays, Nov. 8-Dec. 23; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 24
- Address: 18900 Michigan Ave., Dearborn
- Phone: 800-992-9500
This Santa visit will be an experience to remember. Santa's Ice Palace at the Fairlane Town Center features a 30-foot ice dome with falling snow, a light show and displays. While you wait for Santa and a special gift, marvel at breathtaking video footage from BBC Earth's Frozen Planet.
- 2013 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 14
- Address: downtown Ferndale
- Phone: 248-546-1632
Santa makes a special appearance at Ferndale's one-day Holiday Ice & The Saucy Social. Get a photo with Mr. Claus; then check out the rest of the festival, including ice sculptures and holiday music.
- 2013 Santa hours: available after the play: 11:30 a.m. Saturdays Dec. 7-28, 1 p.m. Sunday Dec. 8, 12:30 p.m. Sundays Dec. 15-29
- Address: 108 E. Main St., Northville
- Phone: 248-349-0522
- Cost: $14.95/kids, $17.95/adults
After you and the kids watch a holiday-themed play, Santa surprises the audience with an appearance. Children can meet with the ol' elf and get their pictures taken together. The theme for this year's performances is The Playtime Pirate's Holiday Adventure.
- 2013 Santa hours: 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Mondays-Thursday, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Fridays-Sundays, Nov. 29-Dec. 24
- Museum hours: 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m. daily
- Address: 20900 Oakwood Blvd., Dearborn
- Phone: 800-835-5237
- Cost: $17/adults, $12.50/ages 5-12, free/under age 4 (parking is $5/vehicle)
It's a chance to see a great museum and meet with Kris Kringle! Afterwards, write a letter or thank-you note to him and have it mailed to the North Pole in a special LEGO mailbox. Be sure to admire the incredible Christmas tree and the Lionel and LEGO train sets on display.
- 2013 Santa hours: 5-8 p.m. Fridays (Dec. 6, 13 and 20), 2-8 p.m. Saturdays (Dec. 7, 14 and 21) and 2-6 p.m. Sundays (Dec. 8, 15 and 22)
- Address: Wolcott Mill Metropark, 64162 Kunstman Road, Ray Township
- Phone: 586-749-5997
- Cost: $5/kids, $3/adults (check ahead for finalized costs), $5/park vehicle entry fee
Enjoy a visit with Santa in the mill, make some holiday crafts and take a trip into the past while admiring some historic holiday displays with scenes from the 1840s-1960s. Enjoy a cup of hot mulled cider, cut your own log cookie and hang out by the bonfire, too.
- 2013 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-1 p.m. Dec. 7, 14 and 21
- Address: Kerrytown Market & Shops, 407 N. Fifth Ave., Ann Arbor
- Phone: 734-662-5008
A prime spot for a Santa photo op is on the first floor (near Hollander's) at this Ann Arbor shopping complex.
- 2013 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays, noon-6 p.m. Sundays (pre-Thanksgiving) and 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays (post-Thanksgiving); 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Dec. 24 (runs Nov. 9-Dec. 24)
- Address: 14000 Lakeside Circle, Sterling Heights
- Phone: 586-247-1590
Live bagpipe music will celebrate Santa's 10 a.m. Nov. 9 arrival. Starting Dec. 7, be ready to play some fun "reindeer games" before or after your visit with Santa.
- 2013 Santa hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays (breaks 1:30-2 p.m. and 5:30-6 p.m.), noon-6 p.m. Sundays (breaks 2:30-3 p.m.), 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Dec. 24; pet photos available 6-9 p.m. Mondays Nov. 11-Dec. 16 (entire visit runs Nov. 9-Dec. 24)
- Address: 37700 W. Six Mile Road, Livonia
- Phone: 734-462-1100
Enjoy the many shops and eateries after your visit with Mr. Claus. Find him conveniently located in the food court, and be sure to take advantage of a variety of photo packages. Bring your pets on Mondays for a cute photo opp with Santa, too!
- 2013 Santa hours: noon-3 p.m. Dec. 7-8 and 14-15 (Saturdays and Sundays)
- Address: 50165 Eight Mile Road, Northville
- Cost: $6/family of four, free/ages 2 and under
- Phone: 248-374-0200
Bring your camera for a photo with Santa and his sleigh as Maybury Farm welcomes St. Nick with a warm fire at its welcome center. Parents can enjoy cider and doughnuts while they visit the gift shop full of jellies, jams, honey (from the farm) and other Michigan-made holiday gifts.
- 2013 Santa hours: 2-7 p.m. Nov. 30, noon-5 p.m. Dec. 1, 4-7 p.m. Dec. 6, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 7, noon-5 p.m. Dec. 8, 4-7 p.m. Dec. 13, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 14, noon-5 p.m. Dec. 15, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 16-23, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 24
- Address: 21500 Northwestern Highway, Southfield
- Phone: 248-569-6272
Welcome Santa at the arrival celebration Nov. 30 at 2 p.m., complete with cookies, crafts and meet-and-greets with Jolly St. Nick. Bring your camera for the kickoff; throughout the holiday season, professional photos are provided to capture your visit. Holiday gift wrap also is available next to Santa by the food court.
- 2013 Santa hours: parade starts at 6:30 p.m. Nov. 22
- Address: East Main Street, Northville
- Phone: 248-349-7640
Bring the whole family for a night of dazzling lights and parade floats at this year's Holiday Lighted Parade in downtown Northville. Santa will be sticking around after the parade for those who want to say hello and have their wishes heard.
- 2013 Santa hours: Nov. 2-17: noon-8 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays (breaks 3-3:45 p.m.), 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Fridays-Saturdays (breaks 1-1:45 p.m. and 4:30-5:15 p.m.), 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays (breaks 2:30-3:15 p.m.); Nov. 18-Dec. 21: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays (breaks 1-1:45 p.m. and 4:30-5:15 p.m.), 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sundays (breaks 2:30-3:15 p.m.); Dec. 22-23: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Sunday-Monday (breaks 1-1:45 p.m. and 4:30-5:15 p.m.); Dec. 24: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. (breaks 1-1:45 p.m.); closed Thanksgiving, Nov. 28 (entire event runs Nov. 1-Dec. 24)
- Address: 412 W. 14 Mile Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-585-6000
Santa arrives early in Troy, making his way to Oakland Mall on Nov. 1 for the Macy's Oakland Fireworks Spectacular at 7 p.m. outside Macy's. After a mini-parade, Santa will meet with children and will be at the Oakland Mall throughout the holiday season on the lower level near JCPenney.
- 2013 Santa hours: 3-6 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays, Nov. 30-Dec. 22
- Address: Nordstrom, 17310 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-226-0330
Swing by Nordstrom to visit the jolly guy himself and share those holiday wish lists. Be sure to bring your own camera, as the store doesn't print out photos.
- 2013 Santa hours: 4-10 p.m. Dec. 6, noon-10 p.m. Dec. 7
- Address: West Fourth Street between Walnut and Main streets, Rochester
- Phone: 248-656-0060
Inspired by the open-air holiday markets of Europe, the Kris Kringle Market is a great opportunity to shop for special gifts, enjoy fresh foods and hot drinks and of course for a visit and photo with Mr. Claus.
- 2013 Santa hours: 3-5 p.m.
- Address: Emagine Entertainment, 200 N. Main Street, Royal Oak
- Phone: 248-246-3280
The Holiday Magic Parade delights all of downtown Royal Oak at 2 p.m. Nov. 24. After Santa has made his way through the parade, he will be visiting with his fans at the Emagine movie complex on Main Street.
- 2013 Santa hours: 8 a.m.-mall closing each day with brief breaks, Nov. 16-Dec. 24 (see holiday mall hours)
- Address: 2800 W. Big Beaver Road, Troy
- Phone: 248-643-6360
There's a big to-do to welcome the big guy on Nov. 16. New this year is the Somerset KIDS Collection, located right next to Santa's castle. Children spend $5 to shop, selecting five gifts for friends and family. Mom, dad or accompanying adults wait outside for them while the kids pick out their gifts for them!.
- 2013 Santa hours: all mall hours (see holiday mall hours) with breaks 12:30-1 p.m. and 5:30-6 p.m. Mondays-Saturdays and 1-1:30 p.m. Sundays (entire visit runs Nov. 7-Dec. 24)
- Address: 27500 Novi Road, Novi
- Phone: 248-348-9438
You and your kids will be amazed at the Ice Palace at Twelve Oaks Mall featuring a 30-foot ice dome with falling snow, a light show and displays. While you wait for Santa and a special gift, marvel at breathtaking video footage from BBC Earth's Frozen Planet.
- 2013 Santa hours: parade begins 10 a.m. Friday, Nov. 29
- Address: parade begins corner of Lewiston Road and Kercheval Avenue, Grosse Pointe
- Phone: 313-881-1381
The annual Grosse Pointe Santa Claus Parade is here! See the hundreds of parade participants wind through downtown Grosse Pointe. You'll have plenty of time to meet with Santa, as he stays in The Village until 4 p.m.
- 2013 Santa hours: 6-9 p.m. Nov. 22, noon-5 p.m. Nov. 23-24, 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 29; noon-5 p.m. Nov. 30-Dec. 1, Dec. 7-8, Dec. 14-15; noon-7 p.m. Dec. 20, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Dec. 22-23, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Dec. 24
- Address: northeast corner of Walton and Adams roads, Rochester Hills
- Phone: 248-375-9451
Santa will make his Village of Rochester debut at the annual Village Tree Lighting (6-9 p.m. on Nov. 22), where over 850,000 lights celebrate the holiday season. Kris Kringle then makes additional appearances throughout the season.
- 2013 Santa hours: 6-8 p.m. Dec. 3
- Address: Waterford Township Hall, 5200 Civic Center Drive, Waterford
- Phone: 248-674-5441
Sing-along carols, craft-making and roasting s'mores are all part of this fun and free event in Waterford. Of course you'll want to make sure to visit with St. Nick! Food concessions available for purchase.
- 2013 Santa hours: arrives one hour after the mall is scheduled to open and one hour before the mall is scheduled to close (see holiday mall hours listings), Nov. 9-Dec. 24
- Address: 35000 W. Warren Road, Westland
- Phone: 734-425-5001
Don't miss the special appearance from a man all the way from the North Pole. In 2013, the mall touts that Santa has lost the "wait" – you can preorder a Santa Fast Pass to skip the line on a select date. Loads of photo package options, too.
- 2013 Santa hours: 4-8 p.m. Mondays-Fridays, 2-8 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays, Nov. 30-Dec. 24
- Address: Lincoln Park Bandshell, 3240 Ferris Ave., Lincoln Park
- Phone: 313-381-2833
- Cost: $1/admission, $3/digital photo, $5/two photos (free photos if you bring your own camera)
Now in its 49th year, Lincoln Park's Winter Fantasyland steps it up this year with "lights, lights and more lights!" Keep an eye out for updated displays. Mr. and Mrs. Claus will there for photo opportunities.