Freezer Cooking Tips and Recipes for Busy Families
Tired of scrambling to prep dinner? Take heart, mom and dad: The pre-made batch cooking technique has matured. Get advice and ideas here!
(page 2 of 2)
- Place the pork roast in a four-quart slow cooker. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper. Add the chopped onion and sprinkle the oregano over all. Add the water to the pot.
- Cook on low for eight hours or on high for about four hours. The meat should be very tender and shred easily.
- Remove the meat from the pot. Strain the juices and reserve them to add to chili, stew or soup.
- Shred and cut the meat into bite-size pieces.
Divide the carnitas into meal-size portions in freezer bags or containers. Chill the meat in the refrigerator before freezing.
Thaw and serve
Thaw the meat in the refrigerator. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the meat in a baking dish and reheat for 15 minutes, until hot. Adjust the seasonings to taste.
Cheddar Soup with Zucchini, Broccoli and Carrots
Fancy cafes charge a pretty penny for their cheese and broccoli soup. Save money and eat at home in style. Keep single-serving containers of this soup on hand for quick lunches and suppers.
- Servings: 4-6
- Packaging: Plastic containers with lids
- 1⁄4 cup (1⁄2 stick) butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 medium-size zucchini, shredded
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1⁄2 medium-size onion, shredded
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into small florets (about 3 cups)
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached all-purpose fl our
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the garlic, zucchini, carrot and onion. Saute until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the broccoli and broth. Simmer until the broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a large pot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or two. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Simmer until thickened. Whisk in the cheddar cheese gradually, stirring to incorporate.
- Pour the vegetable mixture into the cheese mixture, stirring to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Portion the soup into meal-size plastic containers. Cool to room temperature. Cover and chill in the refrigerator before freezing.
Thaw and serve
Thaw the soup in the refrigerator. Reheat in a saucepan until heated through, stirring to recombine. Serve immediately.