Watch Me Move: The Animation Show, Detroit Institute of Arts
From Betty Boop to anime to CGI marvels, see 100 popular, cutting-edge classic animations on screens at this museum from Oct. 6, 2013 till Jan. 5, 2014.
Do you love Walt Disney? Fancy Aardman? Have a weakness for Pixar? The Detroit Institute of Arts is bringing them all, and more, to you and your family starting Oct. 6, 2013 for Watch Me Move: The Animation Show exhibit. This unique, screen-filled array will be on display until Jan. 5, 2014.
And in it, you'll find 100 animated film segments spanning 150 years! Some iconic moments – and others that are not so well known – are all brought together, for your viewing pleasure, in this extensive show that demonstrates the intellectual and emotive power of animation.
Not only will you and your family be able to view film segments sure to take you back in time; you'll also find programs to add to the family fun. For example, a demonstration of shadow animation, a class on stop motion, flipbook workshops, music programs, lectures and more are in store to add to the experience. One lecture even chronicles Disney from the original Mickey Mouse character to Buzz Lightyear.
The exhibit runs Oct. 6, 2013-Jan. 5, 2014. Museum hours are as follows:
- 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesdays-Thursdays
- 9 a.m.-10 p.m. Fridays
- 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays
The DIA's hours change during the holidays. They will be as follows:
- Monday, Dec. 23: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 24 (Christmas Eve): Closed
- Wednesday, Dec. 25 (Christmas): Closed
- Thursday, Dec. 26: 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Friday, Dec. 27: 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 28: 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 29: 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 30: 9 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 31: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Wednesday, Jan. 1 (New Year's Day): Closed
- Thursday, Jan. 2: 9 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Friday, Jan. 3: 9 a.m.-10 p.m.
- Saturday, Jan. 4: 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
- Sunday, Jan. 5: 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
Tickets are $20 for adults, $10 for ages 6-17 and $15 per person for groups of 15-plus. The cost includes a pass to one exhibition-related program at the Detroit Film Theatre, too. DIA members are free! Tickets are available to the Detroit Institute of Arts' website (you can find a link to it in Metro Parent's calendar).
So, Watch Me Move – and bring the whole family so they can watch too! To find out more about the Watch Me Move: The Animation Show at the Detroit Institute of Arts, see the Metro Parent calendar listing.