Best Cider Mills and Orchards in Southeast Michigan
Family fun agritainment rules the autumn in Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties in 2012. Check out these spots for cider, playscapes and much more.
(page 1 of 2)
Sipping a glass of tangy, sweet apple cider on a visit to a local orchard is a Michigan tradition dating back centuries. Spring of 2012 brought an early frost that left most nearby orchards without a bumper crop of apples. But that doesn't mean there's not still plenty to do during your visit! Orchards and cider mills have come a long way: Today they're weekend destinations complete with activities, entertainment, live music and tasty treats to go along with your cup of cider. Show your support for Michigan growers and enjoy a weekend of family fun by visiting one of these orchards.
- Address: 13011 Bethel Church Road, Manchester
- Phone: 734-428-9310
- Hours: Noon-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday. Closed Mondays.
Located just 30 minutes west of Ann Arbor, Alber's picturesque location is the perfect backdrop for a family photo. Take plenty of action shots as your kids explore the corn maze, play in the corn box, see farm animals and just enjoy Michigan's beauty.
- Address: 38035 S. Huron Road, New Boston
- Phone: 734-753-9380
- Hours: Orchard: 8 a.m.-8 p.m. daily through Oct. 31, 9 a.m.-dark Nov. 1-Dec. 31
For a day on the farm, Apple Charlie's in the place to be. Sure, there's a cow, pigs, sheep, donkeys and goats, but this farm also includes an ostrich, pigmy goats and even a brown bull. On the weekends, there's live music to add to the experience.
- Address: 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
- Phone: 586-784-5343
- Hours: Orchards: 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. daily, until end of October. Store: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, until Dec. 23. Nighttime Spooky Hayride and Haunted Barn: 7-11 p.m. weekends, October.
The Disneyland of orchards, Blake Farms has a variety of attractions spread over its expansive property. It's also one of the few locations that had a crop of apples; u-pick available.
- Address: 3685 Central St., Dexter
- Phone: 734-426-8531
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday, through mid-November
Now in its 126th season, the Dexter Cider Mill is Michigan's oldest operating cider mill. Your kids will marvel watching how this antique mill still works to turn out some of the best cider around. Of course, there are baked goodies on hand, too.
- Address: 1479 Ranch Road, Holly
- Phone: 248-634-8981
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily through October. November dates possible; see website for details.
Along with a playscape, playground, corn mazes and more, two weekends in October, Diehl's hosts craft shows, too. Get your holiday shopping done early with one-of-a-kind gifts.