Best Cider Mills, U-Pick Orchards & Family Farm Activities in Southeast Michigan
Autumn fun is happening all over Macomb, Oakland, Washtenaw and Wayne counties. Here's your 2013 guide to metro Detroit and Ann Arbor!
(page 1 of 3)
Picking apples, chowing doughnuts and sipping sweet cider are part of the Michigan fall experience. After chilly weather thwarted much of last year's crops, local pick-your-own orchards are hoping for a fruitful fall in 2013. In addition to the grub, many mills and farms offer corn mazes, petting zoos and other lures so your family can make a whole day of your visit – in some cases, year-round. So, beyond boosting local economy, you're making memories, too. Explore southeast Michigan's best all harvest season long.
- Address: 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
- Hours: U-pick: 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. daily, until Oct. 31; store: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily till Dec. 23; U-cut Christmas trees in December
- Phone: 586-784-5343
Blake is the ultimate harvest destination. You'll find an orchard, cider mill and Haunted Blake's in time for Halloween.
- Address: 46462 Dequindre Road, Utica
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, September to mid-December
- Phone: 586-731-6699 (during season)
A family-owned spots with doughnuts made daily, old-fashioned pressed cider and a wide variety of gourds and pumpkins in season.
- Address: 4900 32 Mile Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, year-round
- Phone: 586-752-7888
Fall weekend fun for kids features a petting zoo, climb up Straw Mountain and challenging corn maze. Various U-pick seasons run June-October, and they've got an ice cream parlor and greenhouse, too. Tours available for 15-plus (perfect for parties).
- Address: 2961 W. 32 Mile Road, Romeo
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily, Sept. 14-late December
- Phone: 586-752-2453
The store is stocked with fresh produce, locally made products and warm doughnuts, while the orchard offers U-pick apples, pumpkins and raspberries. Reserve a spot on the scare-free Moonlight Hayride Friday and Saturday evenings in October.
- Address: 63260 Van Dyke Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, year-round
- Phone: 586-752-2989
Pick up high-quality fruit including juicy strawberries, plump peaches and, of course, crisp apples. Pies and doughnuts are on the menu, too. Verellen holds a semi-annual frozen fruit sale in March and September.
- Address: 65075 Van Dyke Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily until Dec. 24 (closed Thanksgiving); U-pick 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily until Oct. 31 (check site for specific event dates and hours)
- Phone: 586-752-3123
Slide down the 40-foot Apple Shoot Slide and explore the rest of the three-acre playground, petting farm and cider mill. Satisfy your sweet tooth at the Schoolhouse Ice Cream & Sweet Shoppe, too, or romp around the corn maze in the fall.
Ashton Orchards Cider Mill
- Address: 3925 Seymour Lake Road, Ortonville
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sunday, through December (hours change in late October)
- Phone: 248-627-6671
A pastoral orchard where kids enjoy a wooden playground and parents soak up the landscape. Ashton has a variety of produce including apples, peaches, plums and sweet corn, though many visit for the cider and doughnuts.