Best Cider Mills, U-Pick Orchards & Family Farm Activities in Southeast Michigan
Join the fall festivities in Macomb, Oakland, Wayne and Washtenaw counties. Here are some great places to visit in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor in 2014.
(page 1 of 2)
Delight your taste buds with some fresh cinnamon sugar doughnuts and homemade apple cider at your local orchards and cider mills this fall. Bring out the whole family and make a day of it – head to one of your local orchards to pick apples, venture through a corn maze or one of the many other cool attractions offered. Many locations are open daily; some even year 'round. So head out to your hometown orchard to make sweet fall memories with your family and friends!
- Address: 17985 Armada Center Road, Armada
- Hours: U-pick: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. daily until Oct. 31; store: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday, 8 a.m.-7 p.m. Sunday till Dec. 23; U-cut Christmas trees in December
- Phone: 586-784-5343
Blake is the ultimate harvest destination. You'll find an orchard, cider mill and Haunted Blake's in time for Halloween. Check out the full remodel of the interior of the store, plus added square footage to offer more sweet treats. Blake's now offers hard cider, too, for mom and dad.
- Address: 6350 37 Mile Road, Romeo
- Phone: 810-798-3611
- Hours: 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays Sept. 6-Nov. 2
With a scenic overlook, Hy's is a great Michigan spot to spend a day picking apples and drinking fresh cider from the working mill. Check the website for the dates to pick your own apples.
- Address: 46462 Dequindre Road, Utica
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily September-Oct. 31; 9 a.m.-5 p.m. daily, Nov. 1-Thanksgiving weekend
- Phone: 586-731-6699 (during season)
A family-owned spots with doughnuts made daily, old-fashioned pressed cider and a wide variety of gourds and pumpkins in season. Middleton Farms also offers homemade pies, caramel apples or candy apples.
- Address: 4900 32 Mile Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 10 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Friday-Sunday year-round
- Phone: 586-752-7888
Fall weekend fun for kids features a petting zoo, climb up Straw Mountain, challenging corn maze and hayrides. Various U-pick seasons run June-October, and they've got an ice cream parlor and greenhouse, too. Tours available for 15-plus.
- Address: 2961 W. 32 Mile Road, Romeo
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily Sept. 14-late December; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday-Sunday January
- Phone: 586-752-2453
The store is stocked with fresh produce, locally made products and warm doughnuts, while the orchard offers U-pick apples, pumpkins and raspberries. Reserve a spot on the scare-free Moonlight Hayride Saturday evenings in October. (Note: Groups can call to book hayrides on Fridays.)
- Address: 63260 Van Dyke Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 6:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday year-round
- Phone: 586-752-2989
Pick up high-quality fruit including juicy strawberries, plump peaches and, of course, crisp apples. Pies and doughnuts are on the menu, too. Verellen holds a semi-annual frozen fruit sale in March and September.
- Address: 65075 Van Dyke Road, Washington Township
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. Farm Market daily until Dec. 24 (closed Thanksgiving); U-pick 10 a.m.-5 p.m. daily until Oct. 31 (check site for specific event dates and hours); 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Cider Barn
- Phone: 586-752-3123
Slide down the 40-foot Apple Shoot Slide and explore the rest of the three-acre playground, petting farm and cider mill. Satisfy your sweet tooth at the Schoolhouse Ice Cream & Sweet Shoppe, too, or romp around the corn maze in the fall.
- Address: 3925 Seymour Lake Road, Ortonville
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-6 p.m. Sunday September-Oct. 31; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Nov. 1-Dec. 23
- Phone: 248-627-6671
A pastoral orchard where kids enjoy a wooden playground and parents soak up the landscape. Ashton has a variety of produce including apples, peaches, plums and sweet corn, though many visit for the cider and doughnuts.
- Address: 1479 Ranch Road, Holly
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily until Oct. 31
- Phone: 248-634-8981
Come enjoy cider and doughnuts! Head to Diehl's on the weekend for the corn maze, playground and hayrides. Don't miss the 33rd Ciderfest Sept. 27-28, which includes a craft show and live entertainment.
- Address: 61475 Silver Lake Road, South Lyon
- Hours: cider mill: 6 a.m.-7 p.m. daily until Nov. 2; 7 a.m.-5 p.m. Nov. 3-23
- Phone: 248-437-0150
This local cider mill offers traditional homemade cider and doughnuts. Make a day of it and check out the other attractions. Activities offered include a daytime corn maze (family friendly), the Barn of Horrors and Corn Stalkers Maze, U-pick apples, pumpkins, raspberries and cherries.
- Address: 7450 Franklin Road, Bloomfield Hills
- Hours: 7 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Monday-Friday and 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday from Saturday before Labor Day till Sunday after Thanksgiving; also 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Thanksgiving Day
- Phone: 248-626-8261
Now in its 177th year, this local favorite is known for its non-pasteurized fresh cider and hot doughnuts. Pick up a delicious fresh baked pie, too, and stop and see the ducks by the river.
- Address: 4295 Orion Road, Rochester
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Sunday until Thanksgiving, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday December
- Phone: 248-652-8450
Come by for a gallon of fresh-made cider and apples to take home. On Sunday Goodison features entertainment by John the balloon guy, a moonwalk and music by a blue grass ensemble.
- Address: 1540 E. Commerce Road, Commerce Township
- Hours: Cider Mill: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily; U-pick: hours vary May-October
- Phone: 248-360-3774
Pick your own apples and pumpkins, take a relaxing wagon ride and test your nerves in the Night Time Corn Maze. Try some homemade doughnuts and cider. Pick up some honey, apple butter, preserves and breads too.
- Address: 4480 Orion Road, Oakland Township
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. daily in fall, 11 a.m.-7 p.m. daily in winter, 11 a.m.-9 p.m. daily in summer
- Phone: 248-656-3400
More than just a cider mill, this hub has a full menu of sandwiches, Coney dogs, pizza and ice cream. BBQ items now on the menu, too, plus try the homemade doughnuts and cider. Take a walk on part of the Paint Creek Trail and check out the giant water wheel in the fall.
- Address: 5125 N. Rochester Road, Rochester
- Hours: 8 a.m.-6 p.m. daily Sept. 1-November; 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. December
- Phone: 248-651-4224
Take the kiddos out to climb the giant hay wall. Admire a collection of antique farm equipment outside and in, where you can guess what the old tools were used for by matching their number to a description.
- Address: 1990 E. Avon Road, Rochester Hills
- Hours: 7 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-7 p.m. Saturday-Sunday September-October; 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday in November; hours subject to change, call ahead
- Phone: 248-651-8300
Make sure to get a "pocket pie" – mini, hand-held pies available in flavors like apple, blueberry, raspberry and cherry. Let your kids take a ride on a pony (weekends only), visit the petting zoo and take a stroll down the river walk trails. Don't forget to pick up fresh cider and doughnuts, too.