Best Cider Mills, U-Pick Orchards & Family Farm Activities in Southeast Michigan
Join the fall festivities in Macomb, Oakland, Wayne and Washtenaw counties. Here are some great places to visit in metro Detroit and Ann Arbor in 2014.
(page 2 of 2)
- Address: 13011 Bethel Church Road, Manchester
- Hours: noon-6 p.m. Tuesday-Friday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, closed Mondays Labor Day-Nov. 22
- Phone: 734-428-9310
After cider and doughnuts, get lost in the seven-acre corn maze, pet some farm animals and enjoy live entertainment.
- Address: 3685 Central St., Dexter
- Hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Sunday beginning Aug. 22; 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Wednesday-Friday and Sunday in October
- Phone: 734-426-8531
At north of 120 years, this is Michigan's oldest operating cider mill. Bring your kids to watch the antique mill turning out some of the best cider around. There are baked goodies on hand, too. Dexter Cider Mill offers fresh doughnuts and apple nut bread daily. More homemade treats are available on the weekends.
- Address: 12651 Island Lake Road, Dexter
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 1 p.m.-6 p.m. Sunday, September-October
- Phone: 734-426-8009
At this fifth-generation family farm, stock up on cider, eggs, homemade jams and jellies and beeswax candles.
- Address: 11030 Macon Road, Saline
- Hours: Retail: 9 a.m.-noon Monday-Wednesday; U-Pick and retail: 4-6 p.m. Friday, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday
- Phone: 734-429-5145
Fresh-picked "antique" heirloom apples are the stars here – they're completely unique. Squash, pumpkins and other produce available, too. U-pick apple season starts in September. Locally produced honey. Call to book school tours.
- Address: 6884 Walsh Road, Dexter
- Hours: 2-5 p.m. Fridays, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday-Sunday, Sept. 13-mid November
- Phone: 734-426-2863
Leave the picking to the professionals and grab a variety of apples fresh off the tree at The Frosty Apple. A great way to directly support a local orchard.
- Address: 6580 Judd Road, Milan
- Hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. daily Sept. 7-Oct. 31; call ahead for hours after Oct. 31
- Phone: 734-482-2342
While cider and doughnuts are lures, there are also cherries, gooseberries, currants, raspberries and peaches – plus famous jams and apple butters. Wasem holds tours for groups by appointment too.
- Address: 5565 Merritt Road, Ypsilanti
- Hours: orchard/fair: 10 a.m.-6 p.m., Wednesday-Friday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday-Sunday Sept. 26-end of October; see website for specific hours for each attraction
- Phone: 734-390-9211
The fair has mini golf, play areas, pony rides, a spinning vortex "splatter town" paintball, while the farm teems with U-pick apples and pumpkins, corn mazes and more. Older kids can brave the Night Terrors attraction (see site for times).
- Address: 38035 S. Huron Road, New Boston
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. September-October; 9 a.m.-6 p.m. November-December; cider, pumpkin pies and other foods until Jan. 1 (call for details)
- Phone: 734-753-9380
This family farm is celebrating its 59th year. Besides the typical petting farm fauna, Charlie's has an ostrich, pigmy goat and a baby calf. Stop by on busy weekends to listen to live music and stroll this 95-acre farm for plenty of U-pick homegrown apples and fruits.
- Address: 9252 Currie Road, Salem
- Hours: 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturdays-Sundays (closes at 5 p.m. during daylight savings time) Sept. 6-Oct. 26
- Phone: 734-560-2840
This family-run orchard, named the German word for "fruit tree," has fresh-picked apples, pressed cider and apple cinnamon doughnuts. Obstbaum offers hayrides and U-pick pumpkins. Date night? Visit the winery; it also sells hard cider.
- Address: 714 Baseline Road, Northville
- Phone: 248-349-3181
- Hours: 10 a.m.-8 p.m. daily Aug. 30-Nov. 23
Since 1873, Parmenter's has offered the best in fall fare, including pies, pumpkin butter, cider, roasted almonds and much more.
- Address: 10685 Warren Road, Plymouth
- Hours: Mill: 9 a.m.-7 p.m. daily September-early Nov. 2; secondary market (10260 W. Ann Arbor Road, Plymouth): 10 a.m.-6 p.m. daily September-day before Thanksgiving
- Phone: 734-455-2290
Take a scenic wagon ride through the 100-acre farm, visit the petting zoo, pick your own pumpkins and enjoy some cider and cinnamon doughnuts.