When it comes to east-side family fun in metro Detroit, why not consider Clinton Township? Whether your kids are wacky for Whirlyball, crave some candy treats or hanker for a little local history (complete with family-friendly projects and events that’ll make ‘em forget they’re actually learning), this Macomb County town has it all. Here’s a taste of what’s in store.
- Address: 21570 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-469-2800
- Hours: 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Sunday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-midnight Friday-Saturday (note: these hours apply June 12-Sept. 3; other seasons vary)
Go-karts rule the roost at this play haven that has Indy Karts, Grand Prix, Bumper Cars, Turbo Karts and more. Bowling and a two-story arcade mean there’s oodles to do in the cold months, too.
- Address: 44650 Garfield, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-286-8700
- Hours: 11 a.m.-midnight Monday-Thursday, 11 a.m.-1 a.m. Friday-Saturday, noon-midnight Sunday; hours are seasonal – call for more details
- Costs: $2.25-$2.50/game Monday-Thursday, $2.25-$3.50/game Friday-Saturday, $3-$3.50/game Sunday; $20/hour for cosmic bowling Friday-Saturday
This kid-friendly center is now smoke-free. Every other Friday night – and every Saturday night – bowl under the cosmic lights. With 80 lanes – half of them bumper-abled – the fun is sure to keep on rolling.
- Address: 44595 Enterprise Drive, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-203-0500
- Hours: 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m.-9 p.m. Friday-Saturday, 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Sunday (hours may vary on holidays)
- Costs: $9/ages 2-plus, $4/ages 12-23 months, free/under 12 months and adults, $2/unlimited laser maze play
What’s not to love about this kid-and-parent play haven? This local jungle-themed indoor play center franchise has tons of fun for kids, plus a separate space for toddlers. Did we mention it’s also got interactive sensor games, a sports court and laser maze? Don’t miss this one.
- Address: 35335 Gratiot Ave., Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-791-5560
- Hours: 1-8 p.m. Sunday, closed Monday, 4-9 p.m. Tuesday-Thursday, 4 p.m.-midnight Friday, noon-midnight Saturday (open for special events/larger groups anytime by prior arrangement)
- Costs: $8/one game, $14/two games, $17/three games
Step into this dual-level, 11,000-square-foot laser tag arena for a futuristic, heart-pounding experience. “Tread carefully through mist-enshrouded passageways and a Stardock Hanger spaceship that challenges players of all levels,” the venue’s site notes. Keep in touch with teammates with the REALTIME™ radio system, and play the hottest new arcade games. You’re sure to leave this facility seeing lights.
- Address: 44323 Reynolds Drive, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-463-9500
- Hours: year-round: 5 p.m.-10 p.m. Wednesday-Friday; April-November: noon-10 p.m. Saturday, noon-6 p.m. Sunday; December-March: 10 a.m.-10p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday
This indoor field offers more than 20,000 square feet of paintball action in a climate-controlled facility. Lone Wolf features high-end artificial turf on the ground, heart pounding speedball action and tons of spectator viewing – including a second story observation deck and private party rooms. Private games require an advanced reservation. And don’t forget to stop-in the pro shop to checkout the latest gear and gadgets.
- Address: 44575 Garfield Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-445-7348
- Hours: 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Wednesday-Saturday, 1-4 p.m. Sunday
Since opening in 2006, this venue’s focused on local heritage – and has plenty of kids’ programming that ties in with its themes. You’ll typically find exhibits here from late September through early May. It’s situated on the scenic grounds of Macomb Community College.
- Address: 44575 Garfield Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-286-2141
Why not make a day of it? Right next-door to Lorenzo, the Macomb Center offers theater fall-spring, from big-name touring shows like Blue Man Group to local dance, orchestral and theater groups. Watch for family shows like the Wizard of Oz, too. During the summer months you can participate in drama and instrumental workshops.
- Address: 17420 Hall Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-226-0330
- Hours: 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday, 11 a.m.-6 p.m. Sunday; hours may change during the holidays – contact for more details
This breezy outdoor shopping area is anchored by Nordstrom, Apple and an MJR/Partridge Creek Cinema 14 – plus close to 90 other neat shops and restaurants. Be sure to frolic through the fountains when it’s warm. Check out Wellness Wednesdays, every Wednesday during the summer (weather permitting), 9 a.m.-9:45 a.m. in the Mall’s Center Court where participants can engage in free yoga and Zumba. And listen to live music while you stroll, courtesy of local musicians who play all summer long.
- Address: 23770 Hall Road (M-59), Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-468-4300
- Hours: Tour times vary; contact for details
Remember Pecan Torties and Sanders Hot Fudge Cream Puffs? Well, this is the home for both! At the big Bavarian-looking building on Hall Road, you and the kids (ages 4-plus) can take a free tour to peek at the sweet assembly line – from the 100-foot observation walkway – and savor a sample.
- Address: 19781 15 Mile Road, Clinton Township
- Phone: 586-792-4190
- Hours: 10 a.m.-2 a.m. daily by reservation only
Call and set up a time to let loose at this wacky game that’s been dubbed “the world’s only totally mechanized team sport” – a mash-up of basketball, hockey and jai-alai. This 4,000-square foot space is the place to give it a spin.